General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Default Electrical Starting Issues

Hey guys, I have limited experience (none) with electrical systems but I did own an '03 Saab 9-3 so I do know how to hate them.

Anyway my Accord (signature) is acting up. When I turn the key to on the electrical system always starts but when I turn the key enough to engage the starter the electrical system dies. Dash lights, headlights, noises, everything. I have found taking the key out and opening and closing the door will reset the system and I can try again.

In the past, on the rare occasion this happens it will start the second or third try but recently the car will not start no matter how many times I try. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this is already out there. The issue seems so specific I have not been able to find much out there but it may be because of a lack of the correct vocabulary.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

When you say your car does not start, does that mean the starter is not spinning the engine? Or does it mean the starter spins the engine, but the engine will not run on its own (when you normally release the key)?

FYI, I believe turning the key to the start position turns off all electronics. I know this happens in my car.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM

At the very least I believe that when you turn your key to engage the starter, the dial illumination lights do not turn off on the speedometer, fuel gauge, ect. And that is correct the starter is not spinning. The car acts as if I took the battery out.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Flaky ignition switches are not unheard of. That's what it sounds like.

There's 3 circuits through the ignition switch, like this...

ACC position has the accessory circuit switched on ("closed").

ON position has the accessory and ignition circuits closed.

START position has the accessory circuit switched off (opened);
& the ignition & starter circuits closed.

I've heard of a few cases where the switch gets worn & it switches OFF the ignition at the same time it switches on the starter motor. That's what your description sounds like to me.

You can check those things out with a multi-meter, or you can get a switch & try it out.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:42 PM

Did a little more googling and came across this:

Car Dies When I Turn the Key to Start - Crownvic.net

My embarrassment of it being corroded terminals (they really didn't look that bad) is balanced by my relief it could be fixed for the price of a can of coke.

Thanks for the help guys! On to the next issue.