General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Light on - unsure why

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Question Emissions Light on - unsure why

Hey!
So last week what looks like a check engine light came on, when I did some reading in the manual its actually the emission light. However I have since done an oil change, transmission fluid top up, checked the gas cap repeatedly, and bled and refilled the break lines after replacing a caliper, pad and router. The light went out after I did the breaks yesterday for about 20km but was back on again for my drive to work this morning.
There are no weird noises at idle, driving on urban road or the highway; the car accelerates fine, runs/responds fine, smells fine, gas cap is good, belts look good, all fluid lines are full etc. My Dad and I are at a loss for what might be up, he's now left on a business trip so I've got a week to wait for him to take the car to his mechanic (I have dealt with too many ****** that try and rip me off no matter how smart I sound or how many questions I ask) so I will only go with him when needed. I probably won't get any answers without a code, but thought I'd post something up here while I wait for him to come home.

I have read that it could also be the timing belt or solenoid. I highly doubt it's a stretched timing belt since it starts and runs fine without any odd noises.

Thanks Community!

Old 10-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
First, you'll probably get more help in the General Tech area, so I'll move it over there.

Then, please let us know what kind of Honda you're talking about. Year, version, engine, transmission, etc.

Between USA & Canada, the name of the lamp is different by law, but it's the same thing. We tend to call it the check-engine light but a Canada or Europe owner manual will use different terms.

1996 or newer, you can probably have an auto-parts store read the code. Get the actual code number (something like P1234) that's more important than the guy's description.

For 1995 cars & older, you can read this:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-codes-35962/

Last edited by JimBlake; 10-02-2017 at 12:02 PM.