General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine air filter replacement 2013 v6 engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 03:32 PM
Default Engine air filter replacement 2013 v6 engine

Ok. Last week I was pointed to a great video showing how to replace the cabin filter in my 2013 Honda Accord. I need to replace the engine air filter now and have searched for a video showing this. All the videos appear to show the 4-cyclinder engine which has 3 clips and the top then has tabs which you apparently have to pull the cover in one direction to release. My Accord only has 2 clips that I can find and while one end appears freed, the other end (toward the center of the vehicle) appears stuck and I'm not sure how to release it. I don't want to tug too hard for fear of breaking something. Any help for me?

Also, looking at the rockauto.com choices of air filters, some appear to show 2 pieces and others one. Confusing. Are they just alternate pictures of the same filter?

TIA Paul

Btw I purchased a Haynes repair manual for the 2013-2017 Accord and it was worthless as it showed the 4 cylinder engine, but not the 6-cylinder engine and was poorly written (didn't talk about the tabs on the cover).

Last edited by pspens; 11-23-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

The 6 cylinder has the 2 clips. The Honda service manual (past and present) generally does not have any specific detail regarding releasing the clips.

They can be unclipped by hand or lightly pryed with a flat head screwdriver.

The air filter is a one piece filter.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:49 AM

Thanks for your reply and picture. Releasing the clips is no problem. The picture seems to indicate that the cover is hinged on the left side. That was my question: does the left side actually stay attached or is there a way that it detaches. The picture seems to suggest that it stays attached. I didn't want to force it open enough to remove the filter for fear of damaging something.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

The housing cover can detach. There are two guide tabs on the cover that slide under slots in the housing. They just need to be align when re-attaching the cover to the housing.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:23 PM

Although I wasn't able to figure our how to completely detach the cover, I was able to pull the right side up (referring to the picture redbull sent) far enough to remove the filter. The filter doesn't look dirty at all ! I wonder if the dealership even checked it or maybe replaced it anticipating my approval?? It looks pretty clean! I expected it to look worse than my cabin filter, which was quite dirty. For background information, my 2013 Honda only has about 23200 miles on it. I think my owner's manual says to check/replace the air filter at 30000 miles (this is from memory, I could be mistaken on this), which is why I was surprised at the dealership's recommendation to replace these filters. The B1 maintenance doesn't even indicate checking the filters according to my owner's manual; that's reserved for a B2 maintenance. I guess the dealership might be suffering a bit from the pandemic, although it seemed pretty busy when I was there.

Thank you all for your help!