General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 PM
dragoneyes
Unregistered
Default engine dies while driving

Hi everyone,im not a tech so i hope somebody can help me with my car. I have a 2000 v6 2-dr accord A/T with 100T miles on it. Recently i had the 100Kmile service. Now my problem is this,when im driving my car it looses power,then it dies. So i what i did is change the battery,it run for about a day,then i noticed that im somewhat losing power while driving, Its having a hard time changing its gears.I went to get the 100Kmile service today,the technician also checked my alternator he said that its charging fine. Everything was ok till when i was driving the car home,the engine died again,but there is power on the lights but i cant start the car. Anybody know what im dealing with?

Old 10-27-2007, 02:25 AM
Default RE: engine dies while driving

Go in the Do It Yourself section of this forum, learn how to check for spark and fuel pressure, when your car will not restart, let us know which is missing, spark or fuel or both.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:05 AM
dragoneyes
Unregistered

THanks,2ptauto.whenever i restart,there is no power i usually use a jumper to restart,it works but after a few minutes it engine will die again. Before all this happened,i overfilled my gas tank to the extent that the gas burst out it.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i dont think the gas has anything to do with it, other than it was probably a pita to clean up. sounds like the alternator.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: smaglik

sounds like the alternator.
i would have to agree with smaglik,, it sounds like a typical alt issue,,\
you might want to have a shop( preferebly one that specializes on Hondas or the dealer) retest the charging system again sounds like it is working intermittently .

Old 10-27-2007, 11:56 PM
dragoneyes
Unregistered

what should i expect from the shop.If ever it is the alternator that has a problem. Should i buy a new one from anyonline store or buy it from the car shop.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 PM

With Honda it is best to buy an OEM new or OEM rebuilt only, if you want to do some shopping first then ask the shop what their price is installed, great. Can you change it DIY, of course there is a diagnostic charge, parts and labor, if you get it done at the shop, MAYBE they wont charge for diagnostics but in todays world many shops have to charge for diagnostics, its built into their business plan.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:52 AM

This does sound like a typical alternator issue HOWEVER, you might want to look at you ignition switch, i'm not sure if it could shock the system in to killing it when you try to start again but a faulty ignition switch will kill your engine and lights in the middle of driving, btw it may be a factory recall part for your year, it was for mine.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 AM

Check out the ignition switch recall.
Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.
I Also agree it sounds like an alternator issue.
I have heard of plenty of success with aftermarket alternators. It is one of those parts that is not too hard to change yourself and it won't really hurt anything (except maybe your pride) if it fails. I would go cheap on an alternator. I'm pretty sure theOEM alternator on the 6th gen V6 was a piece of crap anyway.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 PM
dragoneyes
Unregistered

Thanks guys. you guys are the greatest.