General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 clicking transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Default 06 clicking transmission

Hello all..06 Accord Sedan,auto trans, 4 cyl, 26k miles..I just picked this car up. When shifting into drive from park, and especially after backing up and then shifting from reverse to drive, I hear what sounds like a metallic clicking noise up front. It sounds like the transmission. Sometimes it is barely noticeable, other times it is pretty loud. It is simply a loud click(sometimes not so loud)and not a thunk. It only happens once after shifting and does not make any noise afterwards while driving. On a further note, Car Fax tells me this car is an ex rental car. Initially, this scared me, butthe car seems very solid except for this noise which of course I did not notice until I bought it. So, input on the noise would be appreciated, and I will also open a can of worms and a possible debate byaskingwho thinks I am crazy for buying an ex rental car. Ihave 10k left on the warranty and plan to buy an extended at some point, but am I still nuts for buying this thing?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 06 clicking transmission

The click that you mention is normal for Honda auto trannies. Sounds like you need a tripple ATF change and a tranny cooler. The 06 didn't have the problems associated with my tranny, but it is made similer.

An ex rental is most likely beaten pretty hard, but Honda's can take abuse. An ex rental should have gotten you a pretty good price, but you need to re-do all maintenance items. If I were you, I'd replace all fluids and flush the engine after a thousand miles with Marvel Mystery Oil. I'd also think about getting the wheel balance and alignment checked. DH has some good write-ups on DIY maintenance. You should go through them and use them as a checklist for your car. With all of the safety systems in a Honda, people probably tried to beat on your car with nothing but disappointment, meaning that your car is fine. Good luck with it!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:24 PM

I would prefer to say its a normal Honda noise when the tranny is going bad, I have seen the very same problem on the late 80's trannies, a grinding noise, the tranny trying to get into gear just like grinding of a manual shift trans. I am sure that the way the trans in your car is built with a different technology than the old one I am talking about but going into gear is going into gear.

No matter what the problem is, on a Honda, its a rebuild, no dropping the pan on these babies. Try the three fluid flushes and if it seems to help then an external cooler, like in a towing package.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Almost every Honda auto tranny that I've seen makes the clicks described.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM

my 07 se make that noise.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 PM

One would have to hear the noise to see if it is abnormal . But since car is still under warranty and it is something that concerns you,, take it to the dealer and have them chk it out, This way you also have reords that you have reported this issue to a delear , should it indeed be inner tranny issue in the future
As for worring about getting a car from an ex rental... it is too new and very low mileage to be overly concerned .Assuming it does not look that it has been trashed .
But as i always reccomend,, before buying a used car ,have it always checked out .