General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Default engine light

My check engine light came on fridaynight, so I took it to the dealer saturday morning. They told me it was an intermittent thing but then they suggested( but didn't say I needed) to change spark plugs wires distributor cap and rotor. So I'm thinking ok they want me to get a tune up so I ask how much for all this and they quoted me $711 [sm=smiley3.gif] I didn't get it done but I guess I will need to soon. The thing is I know my sprak plugs can't be bad because I just changed them about a month ago. What do you guys think?

Old 05-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Default RE: engine light

What year car? Also did you change the dist cap and wires w/ the spark plugs?

Old 05-17-2005, 10:07 PM

Did you replace the plugs with regular ones or platinum ones?

Old 05-19-2005, 11:24 AM

its a 2000 and the plugs were changed to platinum. But the dist and wires were not changed. The pcv ??? was changed also

Old 05-19-2005, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: accorddriverc

its a 2000 and the plugs were changed to platinum. But the dist and wires were not changed. The pcv ??? was changed also
For future reference...don't waste dough on platinum plugs. They don't spark any better than normal, plugs. It only takes one strong spark and keeping your plugs fresh does that.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:22 PM

ok thanks. So what about the stuff the dealer "suggested" If I do it I was going to buy the parts and let another mechanic do it

Old 05-21-2005, 11:50 PM

Thats up to you..I dont see why you would necessarily need to do it unless you deem necesary....especially when they said it was a suggestion...ie money for them for you to have them do it...

Old 05-22-2005, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: 6thgen

For future reference...don't waste dough on platinum plugs. They don't spark any better than normal, plugs. It only takes one strong spark and keeping your plugs fresh does that.
disagree - not only would I recommend platinum plugs but also recommend investing in +4 platinum contacts - I see no problems run 50.000 miles on platinum +4 set. That is a smart investment.

AS for the post itself - please visit local AutoZone store and read the code from the computer (check engine light ON) please provide us with the code number - we'll start from there.

I'm not surprised hearing that a dealer charges 700$ for a tuneup while other shops charge $200
after all , you have to support the owners yacht and florida condo don't you?

Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Evlampius

ORIGINAL: 6thgen

disagree - not only would I recommend platinum plugs but also recommend investing in +4 platinum contacts - I see no problems run 50.000 miles on platinum +4 set. That is a smart investment.

AS for the post itself - please visit local AutoZone store and read the code from the computer (check engine light ON) please provide us with the code number - we'll start from there.

I'm not surprised hearing that a dealer charges 700$ for a tuneup while other shops charge $200
after all , you have to support the owners yacht and florida condo don't you?
lmao @ yacht and condo. Can autozone still get a code if the light is no longer on?

Old 05-23-2005, 06:24 PM

if the code has been cleared no - if it went away by itself yes - you can read the last one in memory

Quick Reply: engine light