General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Unhappy Engine Problem

Today I came out of a turn and put the hammer down in my 02 Accord EX Automatic with the V6 VTEC. All of a sudden I noticed my check engine(Not Maint. Required) light came on along with my TC light. It didnt seem to be running different until i came up to a light and on my normal take off it sputtered and seemed like it died. I took it to Autozone and the computer said there was noise on top dead center on cylinders 1 and 2 i believe. It also said there was a Transmission shift senser malfunction. I started the Engine and listened to it with the hood popped and there is a knocking sound that comes from the top of the engine like in the valve covers. It gets worse as i rev up. I really hope im not going to have to spend a fortune to get this fixed. I was told it might need a Lifter adjustment. Any other ideas. Please help. I love my car

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

You really need to post the actual code on here and not the description. They start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM

Well I don't have the codes. Just the descriptions. I took it to a mechanic this morning to get it looked at. I am debating whether I should have taken it to a Honda dealership. Either way I need my car back. That Vtec is amazing

Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM

The mechanic didn't find an issue but I know it sounds funny in the engine compartment. I will be taking it to a dealer eventually to get it looked at. Also I have been getting around 23 mpg. Is that normal for the v6 Vtec

Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Twenty-three miles per gallon could be spot on, high, or low; it all depends upon your driving style. I get in the low thirties in my 2001 V6 Accord when it's all highway driving and in the low twenties when it's all city driving.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Cool Gas Mileage

Originally Posted by shipo
Twenty-three miles per gallon could be spot on, high, or low; it all depends upon your driving style. I get in the low thirties in my 2001 V6 Accord when it's all highway driving and in the low twenties when it's all city driving.
I drive 30 miles to and from work. Most of my drive is at 60 to 65 mph with the cruise on. Even when i drive all highway it is around 24 to 25. It has a lot of miles on it and im sure it needs some engine maintenance. All the previous owner did was install cold air intake. I was thinking some engine treatment couldnt hurt

Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 AM

the loud tap means you just need a valve adjustment.. take the head off and theres a tool you can buy for 20-40 depending on where you go, just find the spec's and do it yourself, i think there is a guide on the forums also to do it urself

* be forewarned, if you mess up doing it urself u are ****ed*

Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

You don't take the head off for a valve adjustment. That would be the valve cover.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:21 PM

I'm not sure how hard that is. I've never done engine work on a Honda. I've done quite a bit on the Gm's 3800. A Honda dealership near by told me they will probably charge around 200 to 250

Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Taking the valve cover off is easy. Adjusting the valves is not a bad job, but you should get a shop manual (download via "common DIY" thread).

Removing the head is a big job and you just don't do that for valve adjustment.

However, from the top of this thread I'm not sure a valve adjustment is going to fix your car. Sounds like there's more going on, but maybe some V-6 owners will chime in.

Quick Reply: Engine Problem