General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine shuts off F23A4 01 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Default Engine shuts off F23A4 01 Accord

Hi,

I own a 2001 Accord EX with the F23A4, manual. It has 215k on the odometer, one remaining check engine light for the Engine Coolant Sensor, and one annoyed owner.

It has had a running issue for about 6 months now with idling RPMs. I'll usually sit at work waiting to clock in and play on my phone for 10-15 minutes with the engine idle. When the car was idle, it'll struggle to maintain 750RPM. It would dip down almost to cutting off, maybe 100-200 RPM. It finally cut off. When I tried to start it, it would turn over but wouldn't actually start. I had my engine codes ran and the lady at Advance told me that it could be my O2 sensor in bank 1 (headers) so i replaced it. Thought all was well for 2 days. Idle RPMs around 1250 and strong. No more dipping.

Yesterday I got off an interstate exit and dumped the clutch coming to a red light and it just cut off. All the way. I tried a few times to crank it, but same story, it would just turn over. Gave it about 10-15 minutes in the median and it started back up like nothing had ever happened. Went home 32 miles with no problems.

Any ideas?

For reference:
-Owned the car since 2006 and 55k miles
-Brand new O2 sensor
-Stock fuel filter and pump (to my knowledge)
-has had major engine work done and now burns oil (110k miles ago though...not a huge issue for me I just have to add 2 qt of oil about 2,000 miles after every oil change). It was major enough to consider fixing the F23A4 or swapping an H22. Same price, stuck with the F23.
-I personally have never changed the spark plugs or wires since my ownership
-Work commute is 43 miles one way, 41 is interstate, been there 2 years.
-Alternator and battery have both been cleared as the problem

I work at an auto manufacturing plant in SC, shouldn't be too hard to figure out which one without me saying their name... A bunch of the reworkers have told me its got to be the fuel pump.

I know it could be a lot of things, but if anyone else has been through this and remembers what it was, please for the love of god let me know. I'm about to take it to Meineke and get a full diagnostic run ($85) and considering it's a $2000 car with limited time left on its life and I really don't want to throw anything more than I have to in it.

I know I'm being wordy, but if you need any other info just ask.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Robert

Last edited by Robert Harp; 08-28-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest cleaning idle air control valve and throttle body (throttle plate and bore around plate) w/ throttle body cleaner.

If you don't know plug history, suggest replacing plugs. Cheap and easy.

For future reference, write down any codes (Pnnnn) to get feedback on what they mean. An O2 code doesn't mean "replace O2 sensor".

good luck