General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine sputtering after it warms up need help bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Default Engine sputtering after it warms up need help bad

I have a 92' Honda Accord, it's my first car and i love it to death even in it's beaten shape. One back window won't roll all the way up and the other back window is glued shut cause it won't stay shut, but that's not the serious problem i'm having. EVERY SO OFTEN WHEN I'M DRIVING AND MY ENGINE WARMS UP IT'LL START TO SPUTTER SOMETIMES, I'LL EITHER HAVE TO PRESS THE ACCELERATOR ALL THE WAY DOWN OR LET IT SHIFT TO THE NEXT GEAR AND CONTINUE TO ACCELERATE AGAIN. I'VE LOOKED UP MULTIPLE THREADS AND I HEAR SPARK PLUGS AND SPARK PLUG WIRES A LOT, BUT I ALSO HEAR A LOT I DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND, I'M NOT A MECHANIC BUT I DO LOVE MY CAR AND I JUST WANT HIM RUNNING RIGHT AGAIN.
CAR SPECIFICS: 92' HONDA ACCORD EX 4 DR 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Old 05-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Please do not post in the DIY Section - there are posts/stickies in there noting this.

I've moved this to General Tech.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

EGR? Check out this sticky:

90-93 EGR service bulletin

Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

If the tune up items are due, replace them just to rule them out.

Does the CEL come on at any point? Even if it does not, check for stored codes. If there are any, write them down. Reset the ECU/TCU. Drive the car, does the CEL come back? If so re-check codes. What are they?

Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM

the CEL does come on but only after about the time the car warms up, i'm gonna change my spark plugs and the wires just to knock those out as you said, but i just got done fixing a brake light switch so it could be a few days before i get to the actual tune up

Old 05-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Get the code, only need a paper clip to get it.....I'll "GUESS" the code you get is a 43....

Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I believe my 91 accord is doing the same thing. My cel codes are 1,2,12, and 43. I've pretty much ruled out egr. I've also changed the oil, new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, and I cleaned the oil out of the oxygen sensor plug. Still jerks and hesitates when I try to accelerate, but only after the engine warms up. Tomorrow I'll be replacing the oxygen sensor. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by justin's91
I believe my 91 accord is doing the same thing. My cel codes are 1,2,12, and 43. I've pretty much ruled out egr. I've also changed the oil, new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, and I cleaned the oil out of the oxygen sensor plug. Still jerks and hesitates when I try to accelerate, but only after the engine warms up. Tomorrow I'll be replacing the oxygen sensor. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mine doesn't do it all the time thought, there will be times when even with the CEL on my car works fine the whole time

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Get the code, only need a paper clip to get it.....I'll "GUESS" the code you get is a 43....

You were right it was a 43. Isn't that something to do with the fuel system? I also got a code for my ABS of 1, but as little as i know about my engine i know even less about the ABS.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

A code 43 on these usually ends up being the O2 sensor.

So we can go thru the testing or jump to the end....hate to put it this way as it is your money and I hate...hate...hate to waste money but in almost 95% of the time this code have come up....the O2 was bad.

For the code 1 on a the abs....check the fluid level in the ABS unit - different than the brake master.

Quick Reply: Engine sputtering after it warms up need help bad