General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine starts problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Well, now I'm confused about the type of non-start problem. If the starter fails to spin the engine, that can't possibly have anything to do with the spark plugs & wires.

Does the starter crank the engine or not? (speaking of the times when it doesn't start)
The answer to this determines the whole direction of what kind of things to check.

Starter does not crank the engine at all.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Your problem has nothing to do with the ignition (spark) system.

Something is wrong with the starter. Did you buy a new (from dealership), remanufactured (from auto parts stores), or one from a junkyard? Do you still have the old one?

Do you hear one loud click when you try to start?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Your problem has nothing to do with the ignition (spark) system.

Something is wrong with the starter. Did you buy a new (from dealership), remanufactured (from auto parts stores), or one from a junkyard? Do you still have the old one?

Do you hear one loud click when you try to start?

I bought my starter from auto parts stores - remanufactured (rebuilt) and I trade my old one in for it. They said 1 year warranty on the starter.

I don't hear any loud clikd when I try to start the car in the moring.

Last edited by niahuynh; 05-12-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: n/a
Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Couple possibilities...

1) Flaky ignition switch occasionally fails to send 12v to the starter signal wire. Pull off the SMALL wire from the starter & check with a test light or multimeter (measure voltage against ground). It should get battery voltage when you turn the key to START.

2) Bad starter. You get to use the warranty on the part.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Couple possibilities...

1) Flaky ignition switch occasionally fails to send 12v to the starter signal wire. Pull off the SMALL wire from the starter & check with a test light or multimeter (measure voltage against ground). It should get battery voltage when you turn the key to START.

2) Bad starter. You get to use the warranty on the part.
I'll pull of the small wire that connected to the starter and test it today. I have questions though. How come it only hard to start in the morning? After I got the car started, I have no issued throughout the day.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Anyone else??

Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM
TheBeast323
Unregistered

did you figure out the problem with your car? I am having similar start up problems and im thinking its the starter for me. when i try to turn the key, nothing happens. engine does not crank. after a few attempts, it finally turns on. when it does turn on it struggles almost like if it doesnt want to. Let me know. Thanks,

Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

My 96 lx (MT) will no longer start, After reading through of the "starter issue" threads my car seems to have similar problems in that it used to take a couple of tries before it would start. Now it wont start or turn over at all. When I turn the key Im assuming its the starter that is making the noise, sounds like a humming similar to the fan (I know its not the fan because the car hasnt ran in a few days). So im guessing that the teeth in the starter aren't catching anymore and its just spinning freely. Give me suggestions so I can try them out. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

You can verify the engine cranking, by having someone try while you watch the alternator & PS belts. If that spins, then the starter is cranking the engine. If not, then try to pinpoint the location of the sound. The starter motor is located on top of the tranny, kinda below the distributor.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheBeast323
did you figure out the problem with your car? I am having similar start up problems and im thinking its the starter for me. when i try to turn the key, nothing happens. engine does not crank. after a few attempts, it finally turns on. when it does turn on it struggles almost like if it doesnt want to. Let me know. Thanks,

The problem is solved. I took the starter back out and return for a new one. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Engine starts problem