General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:27 AM
casper97ASE
Unregistered
Default engine swap?

i just wanted to find out how hard it would be to put at least a vtech engine in my 97 accord coupe i mean are there any motors that are good fits with out major modifacation?

Old 04-07-2007, 04:00 AM
Default RE: engine swap?

H22 (Engine out of a Prelude) is not supposed to require any kind of major mods (this is only based on what I have read on the forum..I don't have any experience myself with an H22). I do believe you may need to swap out the tranny too though. Not sure if your Accord tranny will hook up to it. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
Other than that, if you just want a vtec, look for a wrecked 94-97 Accord EX preferably with low miles unless you want to rebuild (or check eBay...but buy at your own risk.) They are the only ones that had vtec those years. I believe the only difference in vtec and the base engine is the valve train. The block, oiling & cooling systems are identical. So that should mean you take out the old engine and put in the new one where the old one came out.

I would not, however, consider any engine swap to be easy. You gotta have the right tools and a lot of know how/patience.