General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sensitive accelerator pedal, '03 Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 AM
wamco
Unregistered
Default sensitive accelerator pedal, '03 Accord V6

The accelerator pedal on my '03 Accord V6 has always been rather "sensitive". If you have a heavy foot, the car accelerates very quickly from a dead stop. Yeah, I realize a lot of people would consider this a high performance characteristic and I liked it when I bought it new, but nowI would prefer tohave the accelerator beless responsive. The dealertold me there is no mechanical linkage to adjust at the pedal or at the engine. He told me I had to live with this situation.

Has anybody tried to adjust the sensitivity of theiracceleratorpedal, especially on aV6?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: sensitive accelerator pedal, '03 Accord V6

This could be a faulty Throttle Position Sensor that has a small gap leading to an abrupt change in throttle position input to the ECU. The ECU might not be smart enough to pick this up as a fault. I would suggest trying to drive someone else's vehicle w/ same engine and compare response. If there is a noticeable difference that can be demonstrated, I would return to the dealer for help. Problem w/ TPS is the entire throttle body assy ($$) must be replaced to get a new TPS. A used part would be a much more cost-effective option,...if that is indeed the problem.

It's also possible the problem is mechanical. Throughly clean the throttle cable linkage to the throttle plate and lubricate the extended cable (idle) and going to full throttle (engine off)to pull the lubed cable back into the housing. Also check the internal throttle plate for dirty and grime buildup. This might cause a higher pressure to release the throttle plate from intial position leading to the poor feel. Clean throttle plate and nearby throttle bore w/ throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Finally check inside the passenger compartment for smooth function of the throttle pedal mechanism and remove any obstructions.

good luck