General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine turns over but then dies in extreme heat only!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 07:32 PM
john_kim_
Unregistered
Default Engine turns over but then dies in extreme heat only!!

I have a '98 Acccord V6 EX Coupe and I have a mystery on my hands. My car has a tendency to turn over and start but within seconds it dies. This doesn't happen all the time but will happen when it is extremely hot and humid (typically right around noon). Here are the list of past symptoms and what I have tried and had done to my car over the past 3 months:

1) All my lights on my dash flashed periodically and my spedometer and fuel gauge were blitzing back and forth.

- DRL lights, ABS lights, rear brake light and check engine light were on and stayed on as well
- car scanned and performed test on charging system. scanned abs system for fault codes; found 71 and 62. 62 indicates charging malfunction

- alternator replaced - found that it was pumping too much voltage to the battery when running
- check engine light was due to EGR valve problem...there was a warranty extension on that part but i exceeded the clicks (not replaced yet)
- rear brake light replaced, right front wheel bearing replaced (cracked), and whole car checked and serviced
- spark plugs seemed good

- all seemed good: car ran great, started without any hesitation and all lights shut off except for the check engine light (EGR)
I thought the problem was solved, until it happened to me again this week during the heat wave.

I give it gas as soon as it starts and that seems to help. Also, if I let it sit for a while, then it'll usually start.

By the way, this first happened last year but it went away and the service guys said nothing wrong because it didn't mimic the signs when they tried it...in fact, my car has never done this for any service guys....

Could it be fuel pump or plugs or any ideas?

Totally frustrated!!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Engine turns over but then dies in extreme heat only!!

it sounds like your typical MAIN RELAY problem,,,

Old 07-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

it sounds like your typical MAIN RELAY problem,,,
Sure does, I wonder if he'll check it for cracked solder joints?

Old 07-19-2006, 12:49 PM
john_kim_
Unregistered

Main Relay....I'll check that out...

Year: 98
Model: EX Coupe V6

Thanks...

Old 08-28-2006, 09:14 AM
john_kim_
Unregistered

Looks like replacing the main relay has done the job....No problems with starting in the humid temperatures. However, shortly after replacing the main relay, a new problem arose. I am now having problems for my car to turn over. When jumped, it starts no problem but when I try and start it normally, it takes a while to for the car to turn over. Every time it starts, all my radio settings are erased as well. Alternator was replaced a couple of months ago and main relay was just replaced. Battery was tested and seems fine. Any suggestions? Someone said the tensioner may not be sending enough amperage to the battery?