General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Wants to Stay Cold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Default Engine Wants to Stay Cold?

Hey guys,

Notice a problem driving my accord for the last week. My trip to work is about 33 miles one way. And if anyone lives in new york you notice its finally getting really cold now. Anyway ill start my car normally and drive, i notice that my car will take very long to reach normal opertaing temperture, i suspect that this is normal since its cold out side. But the thing that brothering me is that i drive route 6 wheich if anyone knows has huge up and down hills that can go for miles. Anway when the engine is at normal tempertaure and i let go of the gas to cruise downhill at about 65mph or 70mph the engine gets colder and colder till it drops back down to the C- for cold on the temperture gauge. Then when iam finsh with the down hill its takes forever for the damn car to get back to normal tempetiure. This pisses me off becuase the transmission wont go into overdrive gear when the engine is cold. Is any of this sound normal, I told my brother about the problem, he siad the same thing happen before our 91 supra head gasket blew. Iam very worried. Iam thinking that its just the amount of cold air hitting the engine at that speed when iam not pressing the gas, but stil i think the motor should be able to hold its own temperture once it reachs it normal temp.

Thx for any help.

ps- check all fluids and everything is good.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Engine Wants to Stay Cold?

You need a new OEM thermostat. It is stuck in an open position and can't compensate for changes in load.

good luck

Old 12-04-2007, 01:26 PM

Thx you so much broght and replace the thermistat with honda oem. Runs great got full heat. Thx for your help.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

thanks for the followup. I was pretty sure of your problem, but it's always nice to know the final solution.

regards

Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 PM

Many cars will prevent OD, EGR, normal idle speed, closed loop operation, etc. if the thermostat is stuck open. With open loop operation and no OD, you will tend to loose quite a bit of fuel economy.