General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine won't Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Default Engine won't Stay Running

Hey I just registered with the site and I am hoping to get some opinions on some engine trouble.
here are the Specs and Symptoms.

-I have a 96 Accord EX Coupe with 336K miles.

Intro to the issue:

I started it once in the morning and it would not stay running. On the second try, I had no issues. I went to work and left work with no issues. On the way home, ALL of my dashboard indicators dropped out for 2 seconds. The car's mechanical performance had no failures at that time. I then observed the dashboard indicators twitching from time to time. I got home and shut the car off.

-After and hour of not operating the car, I tried to start it again and had these issues in order of observation:

Troubleshooting:

1-Engine will not stay running. So I paid attention to the cars functions and lack-of.
2-I have all of the overhead lights and indicators when I open the door.
3-When I turn the car to "ON" none of the dashboard indicators turn on. I cannot operate the windows or radio.
4-I can start the car and keep it running by holding the key in the "start" position. I have full power and operation when doing this. ( I know, its bad on the starter).
5-When I let go of the key (spring returns to "On") the car turns off just like, well, turning it "off" with normal operation. No sputter...just nothing.
BUT, I do maintain the operation of the radio and the windows with the time delay designed into the electrical control systems when turning the car off.

Hypothesis:
I think this is an issue with the electrical contacts in my ignition switch. Can I please get some additional opinions?

Thanks!
-Mike from Ohio

Old 07-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

This is one of the best videos out there on diagnosis if it is an ignition switch problem if you having some testing equipment.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, sure sounds like the electrical part of the ign switch......