General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eratic idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Default eratic idle

I recently saw some posts regarding eratic idle problems after a "cold" start (not a warm engine). Several replies suggested that I remove the cover of the fast idle valve and then tighten the inner valve. When I remove the cover I can't find anything to tighten...all I see is the valve itself. What should I be looking for to tighten...is there a screw or something?

91 accord lx coupe

Old 10-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Default RE: eratic idle

this is just a random guess from memory but I believe if you look in there you'll see a pair of screws that hold the valve in/on make sure that those are tight

Old 11-15-2006, 04:35 PM

I finally got around to taking a pic of the fast idle valve. I don't see where you could tighten something?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5648/43087CD7AF4049089C4B7E9DE904329D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5648/885FD62AE10E478FA2D08B680F4B4707.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

do you see the cuts on either side of the inner valve ???? put a screwdriver in there and see if it is loose ..( go clockwise to tighten )

Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 AM

Should it just be snugged up or really tight?

Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 AM

Thanks Desert, tightening up the fast idle valve fixed it. My car idles better during all conditions let alone when its cold. Easy fix too.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: MALSR

Thanks Desert, tightening up the fast idle valve fixed it. My car idles better during all conditions let alone when its cold. Easy fix too.
Glad to hear that problem is handled

Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 AM

hey i hav the same prob.. ive had it for a while.. changed many sensors but not the fast idel or that boost valve of sensor...

i did as said on here.. and yeah it really helped.. it actually stopped surging.. but afte like 10 blocks it started back up again.. now i did reset my ecu after i did this..

could this be just that i havnt adjusted my thortle body cable correctly and that air vavle screw on the manifold.. i just tightened that fast idel valve reset the ecu and went.. do i need to properly readjust my thortle body cable and that air screw.. or what other things could it be..

thank you for any and all attention given .. you and we are all doing a good thing helping eachotehr out..

thanks to all
and one lov..

lov my accord and lov yours..

Old 01-07-2007, 09:18 AM

91 accord.. lx 5 spd.. sry..

Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: MAPULENTO

hey i hav the same prob.. ive had it for a while.. changed many sensors but not the fast idel or that boost valve of sensor...

i did as said on here.. and yeah it really helped.. it actually stopped surging.. but afte like 10 blocks it started back up again.. now i did reset my ecu after i did this..

could this be just that i havnt adjusted my thortle body cable correctly and that air vavle screw on the manifold.. i just tightened that fast idel valve reset the ecu and went.. do i need to properly readjust my thortle body cable and that air screw.. or what other things could it be..

thank you for any and all attention given .. you and we are all doing a good thing helping eachotehr out..
Try cleaning out your idle air control valve- chances are its full of carbon: Remove negative battery terminal, disconnect gray pin connector from IAC, then remove the 2 12mm bolts, remove the 2 hoses. Take IAC and run carb cleaner through until all carbon is removed...also clean the small screen...put back together in reverse order. Let us know if this helps.

Quick Reply: eratic idle