General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eratic idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Default RE: eratic idle

Where is the fast idle valve located on the 2.2L VTEC i have a 1994 Ex with the same problem?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:17 AM

I looked in the workshop manual and found that it is located under the throttle body. I'll bring it in the shop tommorrow and hopefully do it during my lunch break. I hope this fixes it, im getting really annoyed with it.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MAPULENTO

... do i need to properly readjust my thortle body cable and that air screw.. or what other things could it be...
The throttle cable should have just a little slack. The cable itself should never hold the throttle open even a little bit.

The mechanical stop for the throttle should only stop the throttle from wedging itself in the throttlebody bore. It also shouldn't hold the throttle open any more than just preventing it from wedging stuck.

Set "base" idle speed...
1) Warmed up thoroughly; all auxilliary loads turned off.
2) Jumper the SCS connector (like reading CEL error codes).
3) Unplug IACV; this will cause idle speed to drop low.
4) Adjust throttle screw (air bypass needle valve) for'base' idlerpm.
-base idlevalue depends on year & model; maybe 500-600 rpm.
- it's substantially lower than where your idle is 'supposed' to be.
5) Turn it off, plug IACV back in, remove SCS jumper.
6) Reset your ECU
7) Start engine without touching gas pedal.
8) Let it run for 10 minutes(?) without touching gas pedal.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 PM

hey i drove out today again.. and it seemed alittle better.. rpm wouldnt really settle anywhere.. but at least it wasnt surging anymore.. i mean i saw it go up and down.. twice in a 4 mile drive.. with stops turn on turn offs.. to me its great.. but im going to do what was mentioned.. clean that dang valve..and after readjust my idle.. the way the book says.. which was pretty much how you said.. but i like what you added not pushing the gas for ten min.. jus t letting it idle..

maybe tommorrow if i dont get all lazy assed again.. lol.. but i really cant believe how easy it was. after me spending like a 1000 dollars on damm sensors, valves, all kinds of dang things..and not to mention the trouble.. i cant believe it was that damm mmmmm fastidlevalve.. shoot.. well learned the hard way again..

anywayz.. lol.. thanks for the help.. i will keep you all up to date.. thanks bro..

lov my accord.. and i think i will luv urs also when i see it..

Old 01-10-2007, 12:41 PM

I adjusted my fast idle valve by turning the valve about 3 full clockwise turns,I also performed and induction service and the results were amazing. No more surging idle!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:30 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

How do you adjust the fast idle valve on a 94? I took a look at mine real quick, but I didnt see how it came apart?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:19 PM

this just helped me out, worked perfect.. my car idles smooth when started. thanks!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 PM

If you have a 4cyl vtec 2.2L it is located under the throtle body, you will have to remove the TB to get to the valve, bee careful not to tear the TB gasket, i can upload a pic for you if you want

Old 01-15-2007, 11:25 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Mine isnt a VTEC, but I think its still in the same spot. Maybe. But yeah, any pictures would be great, if it isnt too much trouble.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 PM

hey whats up .. its been sometime now..huh.. well i did the fast idle valve and the other one which is right next to it... the one that it connects to with a hose.. they are both cleaned out now..and my idle is still going up and down alittle bit.. just very little.. like 1/2 an rpm... or so.. the idle still seems bad..though.. im going to clean the small litle one on the side of the intake manafold .. small round or circle shaped one..