General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EVAP diagnostic related question

Old 12-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Default EVAP diagnostic related question

For a 2000 Honda Accord sedan 4 cyl 2.3 ULEV
It is difficult to separate parts of the system so please bear with me.

When the EVAP diagnostics run how closed or isolated are they to the EVAP system? That is vague so there is the issue:

Against the firewall on the passenger side is a switch/solenoid with vacuum lines that run to the intake, rear engine mount, cruise control and a vacuum tank (not EVAP canister by the gas tank). Those are all under the hood.

A smoke test was done (I was not there) and smoke came from the solenoid mounted on the firewall.

Is there any interaction between the leak at that solenoid and the EVAP system.

The car has a check engine code 1457 that started happening after a gas tank replacement. The valve by the canister was replaced. The gas cap was replaced. The purge valve by the intake was not replaced.

So a smoke test was done and smoke came from the solenoid by the firewall. Is there any interaction between this part related to the car diagnostics getting a 1457 code?

I can see where smoke in the intake might go both ways, over to the solenoid, cruise control * etc side and the other way to the EVAP side back to the canister by the gas tank. BUT I would think the EVAP tests would run from the purge valve by the intake back to the gas tank. For those tests I would think the purge valve is closed and the test not sense a leak related to the solenoid mounted on the firewall or any part connected to that i.e. cruise, engine mount & etc.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I think first we have to figure out what the "solenoid by the firewall" is.

How about #9 in the picture? That's the IAC valve for idle-control and cold-start. (Incidentally, #8 is the EVAP purge valve on the front side of the intake-manifold plenum)

Otherwise, go to your favorite on-line parts place.
(for example www(dot)hondaautomotiveparts(dot)com)
Click "parts"
Put in your car's information.
Select a category & browse the pictures until you find what that part is.

Attached Thumbnails EVAP diagnostic related question-2000-ulev-throttlebody.gif  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

PS... I should have also suggested looking at the "engine mounts" category for the solenoid that controls the vacuum-operated rear engine mount.

If that system is leaking, I'm not sure whether that would contribute to a P1457.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Jim,
I have picture of the solenoid but the site won't accept the dropbox URL to the picture.
The solenoid is 14 from the engine mount section you suggested. The place that installed the new gas tank ran a partial smoke test because of engine code 1457. They got smoke around the solenoid and stopped testing as they figured the solenoid was causing the 1457. I don't think that is the cause of the problem. I don't think that solenoid is in the EVAP system.

I think this might have happened to get smoke over there. They injected smoke at the EVAP canister under the car. The smoke made it up past the purge valve, into the manifold and over to the solenoid. The solenoid may have a leak but that would be unrelated to the 1457 code as that is in the EVAP system. (The above does not mean the purge valve is broken. They had a smoke tester so may have opened that valve).

Before the gas tank was replace the purge valve and valve by the canister were working fine. The EVAP system was not getting any codes. After the gas tank was installed the light came on. I suspect the mechanic did not connect the lines around the gas tank correctly. The valve by the canister was replaced as a guess but the old valve was tested and found good (a waste of time and my money).

So the question is can a leak around the solenoid affect the EVAP system? The engine mount seems to be ok, the cruise control works fine so although there is a leak at the solenoid it does not seem to be big enough to affect those parts.
Do you have any suggestions about posting the picture?

50913-S84-A81
014 001 VALVE ASSY., ELECTRONIC CONTROL MOUNTING SOLENOID

Last edited by trouts2; 12-07-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

That solenoid for the engine mount shouldn't be leaking, but I don't think that by itself would cause the P1457. But it's still a vacuum leak, so it might cause issue with idle control.

The purge valve on the intake manifold would have to be open for the smoke to get from the EVAP canister to the engine-mount solenoid. If they commanded it open with their tester, fine. But if it was stuck open, THAT would cause the P1457.

Hoses connected wrong would make sense if they messed with hoses in the engine compartment. Otherwise, the hoses related to the engine mount don't go back near the EVAP canister.

I no longer have a good diagram of the hoses around the EVAP canister, but something connected wrong down there would cause P1457 but shouldn't cause smoke at the engine-mount solenoid.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

For your photo, click "Go Advanced". Then you'll get a button for "manage attachments" or something like that.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Got it. What I think is like what your wrote so great to have a confirmation. I think the purge valve is ok but it should be tested.
Thank your for the help.