General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty about to end and have an issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Default Extended Warranty about to end and have an issue

I've been driving the heck out of my new to me '06 Accord SE, which was in mint condition when I bought it last year in February with only 15000 miles on it. Put on the car bra a bit too late and now I have several dings on the front end, but that isn't the issue.

So, far the car has been running pretty damn well. Gas mileage, highway, has been about 420 on a full tank, 440 PUSHING IT.

At any rate, I'm about 844 miles away from 51,096 miles, which is when the extended warranty will expire. The major issue that I have is that, SOMETIMES, when I'm making a hard right turn (not to wheel lock, but about half to a third of the way) I can feel (in the foot well) and hear a faint "pop" when I get on the gas. I took it the place where I bough the car, but they could not replicate it. Something up in the drive train, or what? Is this a common issue?

Other things that are going are:

1) If I turn off the radio while it's playing, it takes a couple minutes to hear any sound when I turn it back on. This also happens when I turn off the car and the radio is playing. It's like it needs to reboot.

2) The rear passenger door sometimes can't close because the thing-a-ma-jig that holds the door shut doesn't retract all the way causing it to hit the thing it latches onto. Sorry, don't know the nomenclature, but here's some pics.

The one giving me problems (right rear door)

[IMG]https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/Name:  IMG_0840.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  50.9 KBName:  IMG_0840.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  50.9 KB

What it looks like on the door with no issues (left rear door)

[IMG]https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/Name:  IMG_0842.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  52.5 KBName:  IMG_0842.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  52.5 KB

Last edited by HondaAficionado; 06-16-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

The thing-a-ma-jig is the door latch that may need to be replaced.

As for the radio, it may be the power button, but it could be from a number of items.

The popping sound could be from the CV joint or a worn suspension component.

I would take the car to the dealership and get the problems documented before the warranty expires. Have a service technician drive with you and try to replicate the noise.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 PM

I hope it can be replicated and that they don't try to weasel out fixing it.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Have em check the front sub-frame where it's bolted to the rest of the body structure. Maybe it's just a bit loose & it pops when it moves?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 PM

Okay, will do. Any other suggestions? I'm going to their service center at 8:00 am tomorrow.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Have em check the front sub-frame where it's bolted to the rest of the body structure. Maybe it's just a bit loose & it pops when it moves?
The main guys stated that if it was the sub-frame I would hear the noise in other situations other than when I'm making a right hand turn under acceleration.

The guy stated that it's probably the limited slip diff that is making the noise. He stated that it's probably disengaging (or something like that) a bit more harder than it should. He stated that they would look at it.

As for the door latch, they are going to fix that for sure.

Last edited by HondaAficionado; 06-18-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I didn't think about the LSD doing that.
Let us know what they find out.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Well, they couldn't replicate the noise and couldn't find anything wrong with the CV joints. The guy is adamant that it's probably the LSD under certain situations. So no go on whatever is going on. Oh well.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Well, maybe he can show you that other 2006 Accords do the same thing.

Not having driven your car, infact not having driven ANY 2006 Accord, I can't really dispute that. But is it OK or does it indicate something WRONG with the LSD?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:43 AM

Sorry so late in posting this.

Door latch has been fixed. As for the noise that was thought to be the LSD: I haven't heard that noise since the door latch has been fixed.

Well, here's hoping to that whatever it was wasn't an indicator of something major coming down the road.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty about to end and have an issue