General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

f23a1 to f22b sohc vtec

Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default f23a1 to f22b sohc vtec

I took my 99 accord lx to a local garage ( they actually have a really good rep here) to get my engine replaced. The original engine is a f23a1. I went today to drop off the the top half of the IMplenum after they called yesterday and said it was needed. I asked to see the car and low and behold an intake was already on the engine in the car. I noticed it did not look quite right. the intake looked slightly smaller . I asked if it was a f23a1 and the mechanic told me no and pointed to the stamp on the block showing it to be an f22b. I noticed it was an sohc head and the block only said f22b. I did not argue with the mechanic or discuss it with him, but called the owner and asked about the difference. My major concerns are that I paid for an f23a1 (150hp) and will likely get at best 145 hp, slightly worse mileage, and higher emissions. He claims the engine is a jdm and should actually have more hp. Obviously though that will have higher emissions. What other concerns should I have ? at this point I dont know what year the engine is, so I dont know if obd1 or 2. I do know the f22b block was a dohc engine from what I could find and the f22b1 and 2 had the sohc. from what I have read, I will get less power, less power band and less economy, as well as higher emissions.I do not know anything about the f22b jdm. Has anyone had any experience with this ?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Did they order the engine? I thought the F22 JDM engine was a DOHC. Find out more about the engine that was installed on your car.

I am not sure about obd2 vs 1 on those. An OBD2 engine should have a wiring harness coming out from behind the timing belt cover on the firewall side of the engine and plug into the main engine harness.

I don't know how the PCM would handle the F22 engine for emissions,e tc..

Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default dont know

I havent had a chance to look at it too much yet , he said it was ordered from a jdm supplier in california. He said he told them my car and that is what they sent. It is still at their shop and I have to work, I will likely get to see it by friday or early next week. I did notice that the jdm f22b was a dohc, but I could clearly see that that the head was a sohc and the block said f22b with no numbers after it. This means ( from what I can deduce) that perhaps the head has been swapped at some point , if the block is actually jdm. So then I have a frankenstein engine being placed into my car and I really just wanted it back to stock.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 PM

It is more than likely not a Frankenstein engine.

The JDM F22B engines code come in 3 trims;
SOHC 2.2L Non VTEC
SOHC 2.2L VTEC
DOHC Non VTEC

All of which are OBD1.

The JDM engine codes do not have the added two digits like our US/CDM engine codes do to distinguish between the 3 engine trims.

Sounds like you got a stock JDM SOHC 2.2L VTEC (Similar to the USDM F22B1) With the addition of your stock F23 intake manifold throttle body and exhaust you should be right around 145-150 crank Hp as rated from Honda. The JDM F22B that has been installed is no more powerful than the US F22B1. Just make sure they use your old F23 throttle body as it is also larger than the F22B1 if I am not mistaken.

Your MPG and emissions should not be all that bad. The F22B1 is an economical engine that works great. Just older than the F23, they share a lot of components, head is exactly the same and aside from longer stroke and larger bore the blocks are pretty much the same as well.

your computer will work just fine with the 2.2L.

IMO, If they were to do you right, they should have sent that F22B back and ordered an F23 though!

Last edited by CD5Accord; 02-27-2014 at 10:39 PM.