General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Service Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Default Factory Service Manual?

2003 EX I4

I'm ready to start some maintenance on my car by myself. I've just put a bunch of miles on driving to quebec and ontario in the past week. I think it would be good to start myself off with a simple oil change, But I would like to have a manual so I can move on to other jobs where I might need some reference. I'll also probably attempt to change my disc brakes at some point and replace transmission fluid.

I see the official manual here (about half way down the page)

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint03.html

I was looking at the haynes but am put off as I read the reviews and a lot of people saying the pictures are poor quality and the wording may be a little lacking (on amazon)

You think it would be a worthwhile expense?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

You can sometimes find them online for free.

I personally have a haynes manual for the 03-05 accord. I only briefly thumbed through it as I haven't needed it yet but it didn't look bad.

I personally would rather pay the $16 for the haynes manual than the $80 for the one you pointed out.

Oh and I'm sorry you had to go to Quebec...........from my experience its the worst place in the world.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

you might check Ebay for the factory manual.
Just beware you know what you are buying from that website, some sellers claim they are selling the hardcopy manual, then send you a bootleg mitchell CD.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

If you're good mechanically, and you've done brakes & oil changes on other cars, then the Haynes book might be OK. Especially if you never get beyond the routine maintenance stuff.

I've got the Helm book for 03-06 Accord, and all the different electronics sections probably take up half of the 1900 pages. If I have to do some serious electrical troubleshooting, I'd hate to have to use just a Haynes book. It goes step-by-step through dismantling the transmission. Another place where the cheaper books are kinda vague.

Look at your public library. You might find one or the other of those books. I know someone who found the full Helm manual for his 89 Legend at the library...

Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If you're good mechanically, and you've done brakes & oil changes on other cars, then the Haynes book might be OK. Especially if you never get beyond the routine maintenance stuff.

I've got the Helm book for 03-06 Accord, and all the different electronics sections probably take up half of the 1900 pages. If I have to do some serious electrical troubleshooting, I'd hate to have to use just a Haynes book. It goes step-by-step through dismantling the transmission. Another place where the cheaper books are kinda vague.

Look at your public library. You might find one or the other of those books. I know someone who found the full Helm manual for his 89 Legend at the library...
Would this be the manual you are talking about?

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...JMXKQE7FAP59D7

Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

That looks like it. Mine covers 03-06, & the cover is silver, but I bet that picture is generic. That's where I bought mine from.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 AM

I'd also be looking to do some minor (hopefully) fixes on my passenger door. The door lock **** thing that moves up and down when door is unlocked/locked has receded into the door and can only be operated with the button. Also the window needs lubing or a new motor or something because it is painfully slow. Seems my passengers don't know how to treat a car!

Would these manuals have all this information?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that book will have detailed pictures of all the stupid hidden fasteners you need to remove for the inner door panel. Lots of detail for everything.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM

ZionsWrath,
I bought a factory 98-02 service manual (($65) off of Ebay from a Honda service manager who was cleaning out his desk. I also bought the V6 supplement ($40) from Helm, Inc. That's who publishes Hondas manuals and many other car makers. It is a little pricey but it does show the proper way to do things. The price pain goes away soon. I have the Haynes manuals also. They're OK but the Honda service manuals go into great depth and are easy to read and understand. If you plan on keeping your vehicles for awhile I don't think you can go wrong. I make copies of the pages I need to see and take that out into the garage so I don't finger print my manual. You'll be able to sell the official service manual easily on Ebay when you get a different vehicle too. By the way I like your screen name. RTV55