General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed emissions...looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Default Failed emissions...looking for some advice

Well I got a square kick in the nads at the emissions testing "facility" today. Here in Missouri they test on Hydorcarbons(HC), Carbon Monoxide(CO), Oxides of Nitrogen(NOx), and Carbon Dioxide(CO2), not sure about anywhere else. I failed on the HC with 1.3 grams per mile(.8 is the limit) and NOx with 4.44 grams per mile(2.0 is the limit), the CO was 9.5(15 is the limit), and the CO2 was fine as well. The car is a 1991 Accord EX Auto with 270,000 miles, I was told it was regularly maintained and until this, had no reason to doubt it. The car runs great, no service engine soon light, so I'm a bit stumped.

I talked to a friend after it failed, and he said that these cars really need to warm up before testing, especially with high mileage. I drove for only about ten minutes before it was tested. Can this make that much of a difference? He said that he's seen more than one pass after just warming up enough.

Apart from letting it warm up, can anyone here give me a checklist(or point me in the right direction for one), for things to check?

I was thinking egr and o2 sensor to start, but I dont want to just start throwing money at it. Should I take it to Autozone and have them scan the computer?

Ugh I feel like such a noob....let the lashings begin.....(though i did search first)

just remembered, will the "sport switch" for the trans make any difference one way or another?

Old 12-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Failed emissions...looking for some advice

one of the biggest reason for emission failing (HC) is thet the CAT is not hot enough.........you need to get that engine nice and hot.. also you might want to jump the sc ( service connector ) and chk the ECM for any STORED codes

post them here if any,, we will help you diagnose them ..

Old 12-08-2006, 01:09 AM

Makes sense, well we'll find out tomorrow when I retest. Just gonna get it nice and warm and try it again, doesnt cost anything. I have scanned codes before(both with a scanner, and a "paperclip"), but I'm new to honda, and dont know the specifics for the "caveman"method. I assume its similar to others. Key off, jump one connector pin to another, key on, run(if necessary) and count the SES light flashes? its probably a searchable procedure.....which ill go do now.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

do not start the car when checking the codes, just turn the key on after you jump the service connector ,,,,and there is no scanner to hook up to a 91 accord to read codes,, it has to be done as you put it ( the caveman mathod ),,,,,,

the sc is located under dash, below golve box, rt side . behind kick panel,, it is a 2 wire blue plug ,, if not previousely accessed it might be wrapped with blue tape

Old 12-08-2006, 01:49 AM

Damn its cold out....lol

this is what i got 41 and 17 for the ses light and 4 (fast blinks)for the "s" light

looked like the damn starship enterprise.....[>:]

Old 12-08-2006, 01:49 AM

if you've unplugged the battery recently, i think you need to run the car through a certain number of "cycles" before all the sensors will read correctly. I think a cyle can be running a certian number of miles or running up to a certain temperature and back down. Im not exactly sure.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:54 AM

Well honestly I dont know the last time it was disconnected, just got the car last night. But its been "cycled" four-five times since I got it, about 60 miles. How many cycles/miles were you thinking?

Old 12-08-2006, 04:45 AM

Well I found a code list by.....(smack smack) SEARCHING!!!! If I did it right ,Ive got a fault in the VSS(vehicle speed sensor i believe) for code 17, and code 41 seems to be a o2sensor heater(same as o2 sensor??). Well I'm off to search on those two topics. At least this thread could go to show the power of the almighty SEARCH!!!....lol, seriously though thanks for your time for those who have posted....

Old 12-08-2006, 05:24 AM

Found the great link for testing and diagnosing the VSS for my 91 from desert in another post.....perfect! I was told(and have a reciept for the part), that the VSS was replaced at the end of October. Could it already be bad again? Are they easy to mess up when installing? Is it possible that he never reset the ecu after replacing the vss, and thats why the code is still there?

As for the 02 sensor heater(which i now know is part of the 02 sensor) it seems I need to check resistance. Is there an easy way to do this(with out crawling under the car)? I would think that there should be access to to the wires somewhere under the hood or off the ecu. Or is this one that needs to be checked at the part?

I'm still gonna fly blind into the test tomorrow(today). If it fails again, I'll take a closer look at the vss and o2 sensor, hopefully I wont have to though.....the saga continues.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:00 AM

YIIIPPPPPEEEE!!!!!![sm=groupwave.gif]

passsed emissions with flying colors. I have a feeling that the tester had the car in D3 instead of D4 the first time around, I would assume that the lack of OD had to of hurt some. Regardless...back to the important things....like rims and tires......lol.......ahh but thats another post.

Quick Reply: Failed emissions...looking for some advice