General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fan isn't turning off

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Default Fan isn't turning off

Well, recently when i turn my car off the drivers side fan has not been turning off. I was thinking it's the fan timer, but before i started ripping the car apart i thought i'd ask. I also thought it was funny that only one of the fans stayed on, is this normal, does this car only use one fan and 2nd is a backup or something? I HATE electrical problems and am a complete dumby, my common sense doesn't really apply to these types of issues lol. I was hoping maybe somebody could point me in the right direction thank you...

BTW i left for over a full hour and came back to notice the fan was still on... for now i just disconnected the fan.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Next time you are under the hood look for the sicker that tells WHAT YEAR the car is.

Probably sensor B in the line to the top radiator hose, if you unplug the sensor and the fan shuts off....replace it.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by hondadude
Next time you are under the hood look for the sicker that tells WHAT YEAR the car is.

Probably sensor B in the line to the top radiator hose, if you unplug the sensor and the fan shuts off....replace it.

Oops i guess i did forget to add the year sorry about that. It's a 2000 Honda accord v6 3.0L VTEC it's a EX model if that makes any difference.

I un-plugged the only cord i could find that went directly to the fan... there was one other one on the other fan that was identical didn't look like a sensor to me though... I'll take some pictures and show you what I mean in a little while. Thanks for the reply

Last edited by Chrisw89; 06-24-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Passanger side fan... no problems with this one i think this is the radiator fan right?

Drivers side... i have to disconnect it or it won't shut off...

Thanks for anyone with further information

Last edited by Chrisw89; 06-24-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

One sensor is bolted into the cylinder head and the other is on the thermostat housing on my 95 accord.

I don't know where yours will be at on a 2000 V^ accord. You can download a shop manual for the 98-02 accord from the Online Manuals link in the DIY section. That should have the locations of the sensors.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
One sensor is bolted into the cylinder head and the other is on the thermostat housing on my 95 accord.

I don't know where yours will be at on a 2000 V^ accord. You can download a shop manual for the 98-02 accord from the Online Manuals link in the DIY section. That should have the locations of the sensors.
Thanks I downloaded one version of the manual before i ever came here but didn't tell me much info, but i'll try your guys'... thanks for the the right direction

Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 PM

Actually i downloaded the manual off Honda Tech, it saves to a .zip or .rar file i cannot remember but after you extract it, it becomes .ISO file and i was forced to burn it to a disk... after i burnt the CD all it has was images without a explination of what they were, and theres noway i'm searching through that many pictures since i know i'll pass up the right one anyway lol

I'll try to search google to find out some more info though

anyone else have some tips/right directions?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by hondadude

is this the right sensor?

Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

That looks like one of the temperature sensors. Unplug it and see if the fan stops running.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
That looks like one of the temperature sensors. Unplug it and see if the fan stops running.

It didn't do anything I was just wondering if i was unplugging the right sensor lol. The pictures I've found online aren't the best so it's hard too see

If anyone can help me find the second sensor that'd be much appreciated... i searched google for about 30 minutes but i guess i just didn't know what to search for

Quick Reply: Fan isn't turning off