General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fan motor, AC, moonroof ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Default fan motor, AC, moonroof ?s

Hey
On my 94 accord the moonroof does not work right. It likes to get stuck, then sometimes when its closed and I turn the car off it opens and then closes. Sometimes I think its a problem in the switch, not sure. Anyone have this issue?

Also I noticed that only the AC fan works, the radiator fan does not turn on, and on my friends 91 it goes on after the cars off. How hard is it to replace the fan, any write ups on it?

I was told the fan not working is whats effecting my AC. When its hot out and I turn it on, sometimes it will go off and on, and drop the idle. The compressor goes off and on at any light and it has dropped the idle so low it cut off.

Anyone able to offer advise on these issues?
Thanks.
Valerie

Old 07-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

The 94 has a temperature sensor B that turns on if the engine temperature is above some set point. I noticed that after I replaced my radiator, the fan came on less often probably due to more efficient cooling. You can short the plug on temp sensor B (green plug on sensor on front pass. side of engine block). The fan should turn on.

Just to be clear, the radiator fan is on the passenger side and the a/c fan is on the driver's side.

Both fans should come on when the a/c is turned on. Before blindly replacing the fan, test for 12V at the connector when the car is running and the a/c is on. If you have power and the fan doesn't work, then you can replace the fan. If you don't have power, then something electrical upstream isn't working.

A second "caveman" test is to hit the fan motor with the handle of a screwdriver. If it kicks on, then the fan motor is shot.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:43 PM
walueg
Unregistered

Has anyone found good quality fans that don't cost arms and legs? My garage want's $380 per fan. The dealership wants approx $250 per motor (that's just the part). Online I've found fan assemblies for anywhere from $50 (go-part.com) to $100 (autopartswarehouse.com).

Thanks!