General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a few problems i would like to solve

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Default a few problems i would like to solve

Hello i am here after buying this accord on craigslist. It has a few quirks i would like to solve. This is a 1996 Honda Accord DX 5 Speed. 4 Cly non-vtec. I am not afraid to work myself. Before it was sold to me, the vehicle has a new head gasget, clutch, and timing belt at 100,000 It is now at 140,000. I have so far replaced the air filter, VSS, battery, distributor cap and rotor, and oil and filter. I have the fuel filter and i plan to replace that as soon as i obtain a needed tool.

1) The bulb behind one part of the dash went out after i tried to re solder the speedometer. Is their a way to order these bulbs anymore?

2) The bulb in the glove box seems to come on even when the glove box is closed.

3) The steering seems to have a little bit of play in it (loose) what would be the easiest way to tighten this up, if possible?

4) (most important) The car sometimes seems to have trouble starting. Maybe i am expecting too much. I always let it run the pump for a few seconds in the "on" position before starting. Sometimes it starts right up. Sometimes it will crank for 2-4 seconds before starting, which feels a bit too long. Today, for the first time, i let it go for about 5 seconds and it did not start, so i let off, then tried again and it started right up. This last thing is the main reason i am making this post, freaked me out a little. I did not gather much info, but i am pretty sure while it is cranking the lights on the dash were out completely, as opposed to just dimming slightly. Again, the battery is brand new and the voltmeter reads a solid 14v when its running, so the alt is good.

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sona1111
Hello i am here after buying this accord on craigslist. It has a few quirks i would like to solve. This is a 1996 Honda Accord DX 5 Speed. 4 Cly non-vtec. I am not afraid to work myself. Before it was sold to me, the vehicle has a new head gasget, clutch, and timing belt at 100,000 It is now at 140,000. I have so far replaced the air filter, VSS, battery, distributor cap and rotor, and oil and filter. I have the fuel filter and i plan to replace that as soon as i obtain a needed tool.

1) The bulb behind one part of the dash went out after i tried to re solder the speedometer. Is their a way to order these bulbs anymore?

2) The bulb in the glove box seems to come on even when the glove box is closed.

3) The steering seems to have a little bit of play in it (loose) what would be the easiest way to tighten this up, if possible?

4) (most important) The car sometimes seems to have trouble starting. Maybe i am expecting too much. I always let it run the pump for a few seconds in the "on" position before starting. Sometimes it starts right up. Sometimes it will crank for 2-4 seconds before starting, which feels a bit too long. Today, for the first time, i let it go for about 5 seconds and it did not start, so i let off, then tried again and it started right up. This last thing is the main reason i am making this post, freaked me out a little. I did not gather much info, but i am pretty sure while it is cranking the lights on the dash were out completely, as opposed to just dimming slightly. Again, the battery is brand new and the voltmeter reads a solid 14v when its running, so the alt is good.

Thanks for reading.
Why replace the fuel filter? These days fuel filters typically last an easy quarter of a million miles.

Regarding the steering play, the only way to "tighten it up" is to replace front suspension components. Which ones? It depends upon which ones are worn. It's probably best of you have a shop do a little analysis for you on this one.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

1) Check ebay for "honda dash panel bulb". Lots of options.

2) Check switch on glove box. It's either stuck on or perhaps not being depressed in closed position. You can fix or unplug switch.

3) Check ball jts, lower, upper, tie-rod inner/outer. There is likely play somewhere. If no play, then rack/pinion may be worn. It is possible to adjust but possibly difficult. Download shop manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum.

4) If dash lights (Check Engine, Oil Pressure, Alt) don't come on when keyswitch is turned to On, the keyswitch assy is likely intermittent, a very common problem. New keyswitch is easy diy. Check youtube for numerous videos on this task.

good luck

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM

I don't think there is a switch for the glovebox light. When the running lights are on, the glovebox light is on, and when the running lights are turned off, the glovebox light is off. That's the way Honda has always done it, as far as I know. Both my 92 and 03 Accords work this way.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

The glove box on the 5th gens has a switch. You try to adjust the "latch" or add a "bumper" to where the switch contacts to help it close all the way.

I looked at the parts replaced and didn't see plugs listed?

Check for stored codes just to be sure.

Attached Thumbnails a few problems i would like to solve-5th-gen-glove-box-light-switch.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 08:05 AM

thanks for the replies guys. I will look into getting a code reader, but their is no check engine light or anything.

i thought fuel pressure problems might be causing the starting problems (and i thought it was good routine maint), thats why i got the filter, but i can resell it if you do not think its worth keeping.

The starting issue occured again today. It just got very cold, the lowest yet this winter. (did not feel like winter until last night lol) Anyway it turned over but didnt start the first time. I let off, fuel pump ran again (i could hear and see the check engine light go off with it), tried it again then it started. The lights on the dash did not even dim hardly at all during cranking, and the starter sounded a bit "slow" turning, (best way i could describe it) does this mean the starter is bad? (not very much current flowing through it) again the battery is brand new.

you are correct, i forgot about the spark plugs, would worn plugs usually cause this type of issue? do you have any recommended plugs you would suggest i replace then with?

thank you very much, i really would like to not worry about getting the car started in the morning, and i know that old honda still has some life in the engine. =D

Old 10-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

The lights on the dash did not even dim hardly at all during cranking, and the starter sounded a bit "slow" turning, (best way i could describe it) does this mean the starter is bad? (not very much current flowing through it) again the battery is brand new.
This is probably more a symptom of thick oil than anything else. For the winter months you should run no thicker than 5W-30 oil in your engine, and for folks like me, that means 0W-30 instead.

you are correct, i forgot about the spark plugs, would worn plugs usually cause this type of issue? do you have any recommended plugs you would suggest i replace then with?
These days it's best to stick with the factory recommendation which should be listed in your Owner's Manual. If you don't have an Owner's Manual you can register your car with Honda's Owner Link (http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/) and then view your manual on line.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 AM

the oil is 5w-30 which i just changed a little over a month ago.

is it the general consensus that the oil is the problem?

i will look through the owners manual for the plugs.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Oil is unlikely.

Clean/tighten battery posts to rule out slow starting issue. Inspect battery post -wire termination for corrosion/damage.

From your description, fuel delivery seems likely. Either Main Fuel Relay, Fuel Pump fault. Listen/watch each time for the fuel pump and engine lights to come on/go off. If no-start occurs when you don't hear the fuel pump, then relay or fuel pump are likely the problem.

good luck

Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 AM

thanks for the suggestion. I have alreade well cleaned the battery posts and cable ends near the battery. Is their a diagram of where the other ends of the cable come out so i can clean them as well? *edit* dumb question: obviously it will come out in a lot of places, but i means where to check for the corrosion on the starter or any wires in between.

So far, i have heard the pump run every time before i start the car. ('2' position)

Last edited by sona1111; 10-13-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: a few problems i would like to solve