General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First Honda but really need some help 95 starting but dying

Old 07-25-2018, 12:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default First Honda and I really need some help starting but dying

I just bought this car. It starts up, but dies right after. I can keep it running by holding a gas soaked rag at the intake.

The owner told me she had her friend replace the head gasket and since then it has not ran correctly. There are a few clues that tell me it was not a professional mechanic so that may contribute to this scenario. Missing blots, odd electrical connections, missing vacuum connections. etc.

The motor is so strong and it dies very suddenly.

The fuel pump, fuel filter, and PGM FI relay have been replaced. Loosening the fuel rail bolt does show good fuel pressure and I will look to get it measured soon.

I have downloaded the service manual from Hondahookup.com and performed the diagnosis for the PGMFI relay and it passed the test fine. I was going to check the ECM but do not have a test harness.

Next steps is to perform the code hack with the connection in the glove box.

I have put alot of effort into this already and it seems I am going in circles. I am posting this in hopes I do not have to tow it to a mechanic. I have the ability, just need to find the path.

Thank you,95 2.2 MT LX

I just bought this car. It starts up great, but dies right after. I can keep it running by holding a gas soaked rag at the intake.

The owner told me she had her friend replace the head gasket and since then it has not run correctly. There are a few clues that tell me it was not a professional mechanic: missing blots, odd electrical connections, missing vacuum connections. etc. It is because of this and the sudden stop of the engine that I am suspecting something was not installed correctly, or mistakenly cut.

The fuel pump, fuel filter, and PGM FI relay have been replaced. Loosening the fuel rail bolt does show good fuel pressure and I will look to get it measured soon.

I have downloaded the service manual from Hondahookup.com and performed the diagnosis for the PGMFI relay and it passed the test fine. I was going to check the ECM but do not have a test harness.

I pulled the following codes

I have put alot of effort into this already and it seems I am going in circles. I am posting this in hopes I do not have to tow it to a mechanic mainly because I want to learn as much as I can from this. but I am also low in funds and far from a good mechanic.

Thank you,

Justin

Those connect with tape go directly to the ECM of the same color.

Last edited by Justin Dreyer; 07-25-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Updating