General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Default First Oil Change

First of all, I am a complete newbie and am looking to change that when it comes to cars.

I have a leased 2012 Honda Accord SE (4 cylinder, 2.4L) here in Florida with 4325 miles on it since April of this year. I've always been going to places like Midas to have my oil change done, but I want to start doing my own oil changes.

I've been looking at these forums and watching videos online in regards to DIY oil changes, and I just have some questions.

The manual states "always use a premium grade 0w-20 detergent" and "Honda Motor Oil is the preferred 0w-20 lubricant" however it also says "you may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil."

1) This last statement seems to imply that I may or may not have to use synthetic? And I thought 0w-20 only comes in synthetic?

2) Also, does this mean I should NOT ever use 5w-20 conventional oil. I know the obvious answer is "do what the manual says," but I guess my newbie self would have continued to go to Midas for $25 conventional oil changes if I did not start looking into these things. (previously was driving a 2008 accord)

3) And last question: because I will be using synthetic, I don't want to waste it by having oil changes every 3000 miles. I know this has been debated heavily and is variable due to driving habits, but is there a general range I can keep in mind? I'm thinking I'll do oil changes at the lower end of this range.

Thanks in advance!

(when I do my own oil change, I plan on using Mobil 1 0w-20 with a Filtech filter from the dealer)

Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

1) & 2) The ratings of oil are on the back of the bottle....make sure it is "ok".

3) Yes, BIG DEBATE. Used oil analysis (UOA) will tell you how far you can go before the oil is breaking down. You can send a sample off and they will test it and tell you how the oil is at that time. Using the "oil life" of the car is another option. I have an 07 Pilot that I use the monitor for when to change....on average I get 8~9 K between changes.

But please know the "oil life" does not keep up with oil inventory, so the oil level should be checked as you would with any car.....I check all of mine at least once a month.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

1. The last I heard, 0W-20 only comes in synthetic.

2. You can use 5W-20 conventional oil; but, I would follow the oil viscosity of 0W-20 recommended by Honda.

3. Honda does not recommend the factory fill oil to be changed until the maintenance minder is around 15%. There is molybdenum (that’s “moly” for short), a special lubricant applied by the factory to critical engine components during assembly, that will become mixed with the factory fill oil.

Just make sure it’s at the right fluid level and top off as necessary. To ensure proper engine break-in, the factory-fill engine oil should remain in the engine until the first scheduled maintenance time.

See copy of Honda Service News:
Honda Service News August 2006

Your car has a maintenance minder. Either follow that, or like a lot of people that use synthetics, change around every 5k - 7.5k. Some people go longer.

3k is too early for a synthetic.

If you want the Filtech oil filter; Honda part number 15400-PLM-A01 are made by Filtech.

15400-PLM-A02 are made by Fram/Honeywell.

Attached Thumbnails First Oil Change-engine-oil-application-guide.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:31 PM

thanks for the reply. I'll look at the back of the bottles, but just so I understand you, as long as a 5w-20 is "ok," it is usable despite the manual saying I should only use 0w-20?

I was reading on these forums that the oil life monitor will work best with the oil it was designed to read so I just wanted to make sure (after 8 months, mine is at 40%)

Also, is it bad to switch back and forth between conventional and synthetic? (incase for days where I won't be able to do my own oil change and I'm on a tight budget) Ideally, I want to stick with one for the entire lease so I'm curious if I should just go conventional or synthetic.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Great info, thanks! I always thought I should do things before the wrench light comes on, but I'll start using that as a determinant of when I should change oil considering I don't rack up a lot of miles.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Why would you ever even consider using a "lesser" oil than what is recommended by Honda? The fact is, 0W-20 oil is equal to or superior to 5W-20 oil in every metric used to evaluate oil. Geez, even for cars which come with a factory recommendation of 5W-20 I would never use that stuff, it's 0W-20 or nothing (which by definition isn't an option).

Old 12-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Almost A Senior Member

In our area you can buy a 5 qt jug of Mobil1 0w20 at Walmart for about $27. Cheap in my book.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Does the manual say anything else about oil specs? The specification would be different than the "weight", which the weight should be 0w-20.

"API SM" is one spec that you can find on most or all engine oil pretty much everywhere. More sticter specifications might be something like "Honda xxx-yyyy" which you would look for in the fine print on the back of the oil bottle.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by accordse2012
First of all, I am a complete newbie and am looking to change that when it comes to cars.
... I want to start doing my own oil changes.

I've been looking at these forums and watching videos online in regards to DIY oil changes, and I just have some questions.
Welcome. We all started with doing our own oil changes.
If you've never watched an oil change in person you should find a friendly shop and ask them to let you watch, including from underneath.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Not to sound like a jerk but if your leasing it don't be so stressed out about it. Change it according the the vehicles reminder and put in "whatever" the garage puts in it. I've leased and bought in the past and never sweated the leased vehicle like I did the purchased ones. When you hand it back assuming that's your plan it'll be fine. If cheaper is available why spend the extra $ just to give the lease back?

Quick Reply: First Oil Change