General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First Time Front Brake Caliper Replacement - What to Expect

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Default First Time Front Brake Caliper Replacement - What to Expect

Hi all,

I'll be replacing the front brake calipers of my '94 Accord LX sedan for the first time sometime this weekend (hopefully). It's my first time doing this, so I was hoping to get some pointers/tips.

One question I did have was that the shop manual's section on reassembling the calipers says that I will have to remove the brake hose. I've watched video tutorials where the hose is clamped, but since the manual says nothing about clamping it, what exactly should I expect when I remove it from the caliper? I'd prefer to not have brake fluid spewing all over.

I bought loaded calipers to minimize the chance of mistakes, so I'm not sure what else I should be concerned about. Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There will be no pressure on brake line, however gravity will cause fluid to slowly drain out. That is why the procedure suggested to clamp the hose. Vise grips w/ tape or rubber over grips should work nicely to provide an effective seal.

good luck

Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

I've just gotten the new caliper ready so I swap the hose directly & quickly. I figure that avoids the small chance of damaging the hose by clamping. You don't lose very much fluid unless you fumble & take extra time swapping the hose.

Either way you do it, you have to bleed the brakes anyway.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll report back when I've done the replacement.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:42 AM

Make sure the hose from brake line to caliper is not twisted when done, look at how it's routed before and make sure it's the same when done. When torquing hose end to caliper go 1/4 turn after finger tight, then check for leaks and apply minimum torque to tighten more if required.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:17 AM

So I've watched numerous tutorials on how to change the brake pads (since they involve removing the caliper anyway), and if I understand this correctly, the only additional steps should be swapping the brake line over and then bleeding the brakes?

I'm just a little uncertain because the shop manual's instructions are for completely disassembling the calipers, servicing them, and then reassembling them. In it, there is mention of removing the banjo bolt, but that doesn't appear to be a necessary step if I'm just doing a one-to-one exchange of the calipers?

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need to examine the shop diagrams closely.

Banjo bolt secures the rubber jumper brake line end fitting to caliper. It will have to be removed to remove/replace caliper.

good luck

Old 09-26-2014, 06:25 PM

You're absolutely right. Thanks for the info!!