General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan and gasket for 2003 Accord LX V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Default Oil pan and gasket for 2003 Accord LX V6

Howdy all,

All of my family's vehicles are American except for my sister's, which is a Honda Accord. She needs a new oil pan. I've been having trouble find the part in stock (there's tons of options for a 2002, but almost nothing for a 2003). So I have to order it online.

I was planning to get the Spectre Premium oil pan #HOP16B (if you have a different recommendation, I'm all ears). From what I've gathered from multiple websites, this should fit. What's odd is that this part isn't listed on Spectre's website.

What I'm finding conflicting information on is an oil pan gasket (and does the oil pan come with a gasket or do I have to order separately). There seem to be gaskets available, but there's multiple options and they all look different and some are in 4 pieces instead of a single piece. And some folks say they don't need gaskets, which surprised me. So I'm not sure if I need a gasket or if I'm supposed to use some goop to seal the pan without using a gasket.

Basically, I'm a little confused and frustrated with the lack of information I've been able to dig up and respectfully request the knowledge of the forum to help me change out my little sister's oil pan (and gasket?) on her 2003 Honda Accord LX 3.0 V6.

I really appreciate any help and thank you in advance!

-Cory

Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Liquid gasket only. You will have to remove the torque converter cover, part of the exhaust pipe, and two of the transmission bolts. You might need new gaskets for the exhaust (maybe bolts too). Stripped drain plug threads?

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 09-26-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
Liquid gasket only. You will have to remove the torque converter cover, part of the exhaust pipe, and two of the transmission bolts. You might need new gaskets for the exhaust (maybe bolts too). Stripped drain plug threads?

Yeah, the drain plug is "screwed". It's a slow leak. I'd say about a quart a month. Has to be topped off every weekend. I take it that Hondas are known for stripped oil drain plugs?

So by liquid gasket I'd get something like Permatex ultra black?

Thank you for your reply. The gasket thing was really starting to frustrate me.

From a cursory glance, on this particular model, it looks like only the exhaust pipe needs to be removed.

Last edited by coryforsenate; 09-26-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Honda aren't known so much for stripped oil drain hole threads. They usually get stripped due to people not using a new crush washer and then inadvertently over-torquing the drain plug.

Usually, when people are wanting to replace the oil pan it is due to stripped threads.

Hondabond HT or Permatex Ultra Grey are the recommended liquid gasket.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:12 PM

Yeah, that's part of the reason I do my own oil changes. I know those kids at the Jiffy Lube are always in a hurry and overtorque, crossthread, or otherwise do something wrong. One of my friend's 4Runner fell victim to a crossthreaded oil pan bolt and it broke down on the highway from the engine running out of oil and had to be towed.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by coryforsenate
Yeah, that's part of the reason I do my own oil changes. I know those kids at the Jiffy Lube are always in a hurry and overtorque, crossthread, or otherwise do something wrong. One of my friend's 4Runner fell victim to a crossthreaded oil pan bolt and it broke down on the highway from the engine running out of oil and had to be towed.
Why not just have the drain plug hole retapped and use a larger diameter drain plug? Way-way cheaper and easier than replacing the oil pan.

Once retapped, you might want to consider buying a Fumoto Valve:
  • www[dot]qwikvalve[dot]com
Then again, I never pull the drain plugs out of my cars, ever. How do I change the oil? Simple, I use one of these (I use the "Big PELA 650"):
  • www[dot]pelaproducts[dot]com