General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil leak... oil pan gasket... Hopefully?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Default Oil leak... oil pan gasket... Hopefully?

So I have an oil leak. I think it might not just be the oil pan gasket. I looked under the car and cleaned up all the oil and then took it for a drive. After that I looked under the car and left it running which seemed to make it leak worse than when it was off and just sitting. It looks like it is coming from the belt side of the oil pan. Is this oil just spraying off the belt or is the leak worse and coming from somewhere else? Also that is the only area it seams to be leaking from. The rest of the gasket seems fine that and the fact that the leak is way worse when it is on makes me think it's something more than just the oil pan, unless it is just sparying from the belts. Any thoughts anybody? Thanks for any help you might have.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

How big is the oil leak? It the oil coming from under the timing belt cover?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 PM

I'm not sure if that's exactly where it's coming from but that area for sure.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 PM

does anyone else have any insight on this? I just want to make sure it is or is not the oil pan gasket before I try to fix it myself.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

On the 3rd gens at the bottom of the tb cover there is a "slit" in the plastic, is the oil coming out of that...again you might have to clean up the area, raise the car - proper safety - start the engine and get under there and look.

Oil on that side can be from a few places...I've had and still have a few Accords in this generation (86-89). So I could give a long list of "possibles" but if you can help narrow it down that would be great.
I'll go out on a limb and "guess" it is coming from the cam seal, crank seal or the oil pump o-rings....all of these, you'd see oil coming out of that "slit" on the lower tb cover....then to the pan, then to the ground. Cam seal leak inspection, kind of easy. Crank seal or oil pump o-ring,,,,,a little more involved.

Heck it could be a simple as the vc gasket.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Damn your good. That is exactly where it is coming from. The only other thing I can tell you to help narrow it down is it doesn't leak as bad the lower the oil level is. I can also see oil about half way up the tb cover from the top of the engine. And when it is on and I was under it the oil would spray. I couldn't exactly see from where but that general area mention previously. It's not the vc gasket because I just changed that and can see no oil coming from it. Thanks for the help

Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

EDIT: Is it the slit at the very bottom of the lower cover or where the "two" come together, by the motor mount?

Well, sounds like time to pull the lower cover. Which means you might as well get a new t-belt, idler/tensioner, water pump, oil pump o-rings (2-inner and outer), crank seal....and think about cam seal....if the plugs and wires are old I'd get them as well.

If you are up to this I can walk you thru it, almost from memory but a manual will answer most questions. The hardest part of this is getting the crank bolt out (no "holder tool" for the 3rd gens). Have a few options for this as well but the next step is up to you.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-13-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM

I would have to under there again to see exactly where it is coming from. I would like to attempt this myself if I can do it. The only thing that would really stop me is tools. I live in a small apt and have to do this in the parking lot. I also don't have much more than just a standard tool set. Is this do able in this situation? Are there any special tools I would need for this job? I'm going to look at a manual to see how to do this before I ask a bunch of questions I could answer myself. If I do undertake the task I will do my best to take pictures and set up a guide for doing this.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch, don't know the "rules" of you apart....but I'm going to say not something you want to try there.

Only "special" tool would be something for the crank bolt (remove and install) since it is something like 100 ft lbs (this is on top of the normal safety items-jack and jack stands!). The only other "special" thing would be a pry bar for the tensioner/idler....besides that, a good set of 1/4 inch drive, a few 3/8 drive and a few metric wrenches (8, 10, 12, 14) and you're done....plus time.

Have friend with a driveway and the air impact that you could get to help? Don't worry so much with the air impact as ~$15 at a local tire shop might do the trick....slip a tech some cash and they can "hit" it and loosen the crank bolt, then tighten it enough so it doesn't come off till you get home, yet you can get it out with hand tools......just be sure to go back to him to "hit" it again so the bolt doesn't come loose-that is a bad thing-while driving.

Washington- DC, State or city?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to attempt this. I just found a local free tool rental library of sorts so with that I should not have a problem. When I do this I will try to take pics all along the way and put up a guide for doing this.

State but I recently moved across the river to OR.

Quick Reply: Oil leak... oil pan gasket... Hopefully?