General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First time Honda owner!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default First time Honda owner!

Hey guys!
I just bought my first Honda Accord today, and im a new member! Its a 1996 with 110k miles. Ive always been a car guy but only on classic cars ( I have a 1968 Firebird Formula and a 1979 Trans Am and I sold the Trans Am for a more economical car) Anyways, I was just wondering but sometimes I feel that when I accelerate, the cars trans shifts a bit hard. I know that Hondas use their own trans fluid so could that be the case? Is there a way to tell by the fluid if its the right fluid? Also, the car seems to sometimes begin to shake VERY lightly at the most random times and it happens a few times and hour or so, is this just due to the small displacement? Thanks again! I hope to be able to soon remove the engine and whatnot easier just like in my classics lol!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

When was the timing belt last changed?

The next question is, does the check engine light turn on while driving?

My suggestion would be to do a tuneup. Get the NGK zfr5f-11 plugs from most auto parts stores. These are the copper V-power plugs that most parts stores carry. Do not use any other spark plug. Take a look at the distributor cap and distributor rotor for signs of wear.

Also, if the spark plug wires are the original Honda wires, they seem to last forever. NGK and Denso seem to make high quality wires.

You may want to clean the EGR ports. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to clean the EGR ports under the 94-97 accords.

You can do a drain/refill on the transmission using Honda ATF. It will take about three quarts. Add the third quart in increments and check the level so you dont overfill.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

who cares about the honda, let's see a pic of the firebird

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/332398...ntiac-firebird

Old 07-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Its the 4 banger..I was also thinkinf of doing a full tuneup...Just wondering if the hard trans shift might be from the fluid being old. It seems to still be a newish color. And it downshifts kinda hard too..4 speed automatic. And sure Dr. Driveability as soon as i get a change i will post some pics lmao...I dont think the '68 firebird with a 454 engine would satisfy your MPG ratings since i get like 7.5 MPg in it haha

Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 96cord
Hey guys!
Anyways, I was just wondering but sometimes I feel that when I accelerate, the cars trans shifts a bit hard. I know that Hondas use their own trans fluid so could that be the case?
I noticed the same thing, too, with my new-to-me '97. I wasn't expecting this with an Accord. Maybe my old '71 Ford with a shift kit. I did a drain and refill twice (about a week apart) with the Honda fluid. I noticed the shifting wasn't so hard on the first drain and refill. Only a slight change on the second. I'm not sure if it was real or just in my head. The shifting was still firm, but not as much as when I first bought it.

No apparent way to tell what's in there as far as I can tell. The stuff is expensive, but check your local Honda dealer's website in the parts section for coupons or specials on fluids. You can sometimes find it for 20% off. There are also places online that sell it at a deep discount, but then you have to pay shipping.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

And to answer the rest of PAHondas post, no the CEL doesn't turn on. And I have no idea when the belt was changed, I bought it from a dealer. Well with old chevys, I can check the timing chain by checking the vacuum from the carb. can the same be done with an injected car?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

And yeah I looked into it, its supposidly $7 a bottle which aint half bad...I think it might be in my head too lol since I drive so focused on the car. My dads benz had the same problem and he changed the fluid and added this Lucas Oil Trans fluid additive and it worked wonders!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

The older Accords (pre 98) have a throttle control cable that you should inspect and be sure it has proper adjustment. As this can cause hard shifts.

Also be sure to inspect the mounts....the front on - between the rad and engine, is the most common.

Yea, I like the old GM cars as well