General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIX for: ALL WINDOWS NOT WORKING, fuses good.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Default FIX for: ALL WINDOWS NOT WORKING, fuses good.

1995 LX, 150K. Fix for "WINDOWS NOT WORKING". The connector fell out of the window control unit, driver's side. Allow me to explain: I "armed" myself with as much information as possible, this website and the manual. I checked the obvious first, fuses, any damage to electrical components. Fuses were checked out, I pulled each one and checked with the volt-ohm meter. Sometimes they can blow and not show it. So I "bit the bullet" (take the bull by the horns - yunno?) and pulled the door panel. This kind of work is a PITA (pain in the.. ), carefully I removed the screws, one up near the mirror, one in the little pit in the armrest area and one behind the door handle. Once feeling some looseness, pry off the panel, popping out the plastic clips around the bottom. Lift up and loosen the panel, there are wires and clips/harness' that prevent the panel from pulling away. Often easier with another person to hold the panel, I did it myself, didn't cuss once.

I saw right away that the main WCU plug had fallen out, probably due to road vibration. It looked as though someone else had been behind the panel, the plastic cover was gone, and a few tie clips were broken. When pushing the connector back in, I noticed that part of it was slightly damaged. It would not slide back in easily. Apparently "Joe Blow" (no offense to any Joe Blows) could not get it back in and messed it up. There are actually two clips that you must push in (two fingers) as you slide the connector.

Should have taken a photo, but basically it was someone else's work that caused the windows to fail. Thanks to this forum, I was able go into it, without feeling totally "up S**t creek without a paddle". Ever felt that way?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks.
I copied this post over into your other thread so the fix is explained over there too.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 AM

OK, JimBlake: thanks, I am trying to follow up on the fix. Someone commented that persons will post a problem, but never come back to give any results. I know there is an emotional element in; having no wheels and no dough. This website offers a little hope for those who are stuck. I too am thankful, we can all help each other. With a problem, I hope there will be someone that shows up, had the same situation and can explain the fix. Often I will peruse the threads and see if "I" can help. I used to be a mechanic (1970-80's) when things were simple.