General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed It ! ..Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

On the 1990 accord, the ECU is under the floor on the passenger's side of the car near the firewall. Just pull back the carpet and the ECU will have a little window with a LED that will flash the lights the same way the check engine light flashes the lights. Try counting the codes this way, because something is wrong with your check engine light.

I copied a video below about how to check for codes on hondas. He talks about the little window on the ECU. You should be able to check for codes either way on your 90 accord.

I reread your thread and have a question. Do your fans still turn on immediately when you start the car?

Also, give us all the information about your car and place it in your signature. Information like automatic transmission? LX,DX,EX...?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It started the same CRAP again today Runs fine till its warmed up then Starts flooding out . It did Throw a CEL for just a few min. then it went off . I tried to pull code but nothing ! Also there is no CEL light coming on when I first turn on my key . Is this a symptom of a bad ECU ?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

PA Honda I Counted the blinks on ecu 4 long & 3 fast = 43 let Guess ther is no code 43 ?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

What work have you done on your car from around the time you started having problems until now?

These are items from my last post on this thread that would be helpful.

Did you try looking at the LED window on the ECU? The engine computer can store a code even if the check engine light is not turned on.

I reread your thread and have a question. Do your fans still turn on immediately when you start the car?

Also, give us all the information about your car and place it in your signature. Information like automatic transmission? LX,DX,EX...?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Its a 1990 Accord DX Automatic ......No the fans do not come on now that i changed Temp Sensor ! I pulled back Carpet so i can see Light blinking on my ECU and im getting 43 .. Once again these are the things i've done to fix it

New Fuel filter
New Plugs
New EGR
Drilled out Egr plugs and cleaned ports
New PVC VAlve
checked for Vac Leaks
Removed IACV & cleaned it
New Temp Sensor This is when i thought it was FIXED !
Drove car everywhere no problem ! Sit over night then Symptoms return ?
Reset ECU and now im getting code 43

Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

A code 43 was listed for the 94-97 accords. The code says fuel supply problem, but it really means the engine computer can not get the air/fuel ratio set once the engine is warmed up. Most of the time, replacing the the oxygen sensor fixes this problem.

I looked back at an old thread of yours. I suggested to clean the ground on the thermostat housing, because that is the main ground for your ECU. Did you do that? I would also disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables with a wire brush or a piece of sandpaper.

I would also check for exhaust leaks. I copied a youtube video that shows you how to do this.

The sensor you replaced is the ECT (I think). That sensor has nothing to do with the fans running. The ECT just tells the engine computer the engine temperature. This is not so important right now.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If a code 43 is only listed for 94-97 how the heck am I getting it on my 1990 ? Ive cleared it off 2 times and it comes back 43 !

I did a search on the web for code 43 and it seems alot of people get this on there 90-93 accords ....But no one follows up on a fix

Thanks for your help !!

Last edited by timmy2dollar; 01-20-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

In the 93 shop manual that covers us and non-us accords, code 43 is listed.

I had a code 43 on my 95 accord and did research on it. Typically replacing the O2 sensor will solve a code 43.

In one of your other threads, you said the check engine light would turn on for two seconds when you first turn the key to the II position. Is the light not turning on something new? Does the oil pressure light turn on?