General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Flashing battery and oil lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Default Flashing battery and oil lights

I think these are two different issues and my car runs perfectly except for this problem. Sometimes when driving they battery light will flash but not in an equal pattern. It flashes kind of like a loose wire contact. The oil light will on different occasions do the same thing. They never do it at the same time and the car runs great. The oil level is at the upper end of the dipstick mark also..

Any ideas?

Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Default RE: Flashing battery and oil lights

chassis grounds

Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 AM

If it were chassis grounds, would it just be those two lights or would I see more? Maybe they are both on a similar ground? It does have the appearance of a loose wire.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 AM

checking wiring is very tedious. Due to the age of the car and the symptoms, it could be a loose/corroded/damaged wire. Maybe they share a ground or maybe there is a short in the instrument cluster wiring

Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Oil pressure switch is on the back side of the block, above the oil filter. If you can even see it...

Check the wirefor insulation rubbed off. Any short to ground will light up the warning lamp. Or maybe the switch itself is flaky.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I also don't think the two events are related.

I occasionally had flashing alternator light on a 90EX several years back. I suspected it was due to brushes wearing (less contact force from springs) causing temporary loss of contact, w/ loss of output. Since carbon brushes bear on a rotating shaft, the problem will go away quickly. This is speculation, but something must cause the problem. There were never any significant battery voltage or other issues. If it's very intermittent, I would live w/ it, replace alternator w/ a quality replacement or rebuild your unit (very easy diy).

Flashing oil pressure light could be either real (oil pressure is low for some mechanical reason), or false (wiring short or faulty oil pressure switch). Oil pressure switch is closed at very low oil pressure, < 10 psi on most cars (don't have spec w/ me at present). If this occurs w/ any regularity, I would suggest replacing the oil pressure switch and inspecting the wiring, and/or performing an oil pressure check.

I've had an intermittent oil pressure light on a Dodge Ram 1500 V8. It turned out to be real, a crankshaft bearing was spinning and causing a loss of oil pressure. It would drive some time, and then light would come on at idle. I pulled the oil pan to inspect and found one connecting rod a bit looseso removed the cap and found a mess; damaged crankshaft and bearing in pieces. Engine had to be replaced.

good luck

Old 10-10-2008, 05:02 PM

It is VERY intermittant. I mean like once every 1000 miles or so and only for a few seconds. I did replace the oil switch about 8000 miles ago because of an oil leak but everything else is stock. Oil pump, alternator, all stock.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

I suspected it was due to brushes wearing , I would live w/ it, replace alternator w/ a quality replacement or rebuild your unit (very easy diy).

I will take the Car to AutoZone and have them run a check on the battery and alternator output. I know they can do this while the car is running. Do we have a thread on how to rebuild an alternator here on this site? Also, where can the rebuild parts be purchased at??

Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Check the battery terminals too!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need a rectifier assy and brush assy. They are easy to replace. Purchase or download an Accord shop manual. Rebuild procedure is in manual. Don't replace bearings unless they are noisy.

Rebuild parts are available online from many sources.

good luck

Quick Reply: Flashing battery and oil lights