General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flip-up Headlight problem, '88 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Default Flip-up Headlight problem, '88 Accord

Hello, all:

My 1988 Accord Hatchback just developed a problem with the flip-up headlights.

The passenger-side light stopped flipping up when the headlights were turned on. The manual switch wouldn't raise it either. Next morning the battery was flat and bubbled-over. Putting the charger on the battery made the motor on the closed headlight hum (without the light switch or key switch on), so I figured it was a shorted motor and am looking for a replacement. But now I'm wondering if the problem isn't farther back in the electrical system. I have a shop manual am thinking I should start measuring voltages at the motor's connector pins. Any debugging advice?

Also I noticed on the remaining headlight that the highbeam switch will flick the highbeams momentarily while held, but the beams will not stay switched on high. Some relay somewhere?

Thanks for any advice....Lyle

Old 06-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Flip-up Headlight problem, '88 Accord

Not many 1988 Accord owners around these days! I'm not one either, but will try to help.

I'm not familiar w/ the light actuators, but from your description they are an electrical solenoid or rotational electrical motor system (not a vacuum actuated system). First check that 12V (Volt Ohm Meter or test light) is getting to the actuator motor. If yes, the motor is likely internally shorted and will require replacement. If you don't have 12V check the fuses, wiring, and connectors for faults.

Regarding the high/lo beam switching, the switch to high occurs alternately as the stalk is pulled fully up towards steering wheel. If you pull only part way, you can "flash' the hi beams w/o going to hi beam. If the switch will not toggle to high beams at all, the column switch is likely faulty.

good luck