General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fluid Changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Default Fluid Changes

Just had my 2004 Accord 2.4l VTEC in for tire rotation and oil change. Mechanic recommended that all the fluids be changed (coolant, transmission, brake, power steering, etc.) Car has 116,00 miles. I'm OK with the transmission fluid flush and replacement. What do you think about the brake and power steering fluid flushes and refills? These two fluids were shown to me and are transparent but a light brown color. The mechanic said they should be clear. What problems if any would occur if I chose not to have the brake and power steering fluids replaced. How easy is it to flush and fill the coolant yourself? Thanks for any info. The price quoted for all the above was $335.99, is that good?

Last edited by arjudy; 06-09-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

For the transmission fluid (automatic), Honda only recommends drain and fills. Do not allow mechanic to use a machine to power flush. Also, only use genuine Honda ATF. New Honda ATF is DW-1, which is synthetic.

If the brake fluid and power steering fluid hasn't been changed in over 3 years, it's probably a good idea to have them changed. Brake fluid absorbs moisture in time. For power steering fluid, make sure it is genuine Honda power steering fluid. Brake fluid doesn't have to be genuine Honda.

Very easy to do a drain and fill of the radiator coolant. It has a plastic drain plug (petcock) that you can turn by hand to loosen, don't have to remove the plug as there is a drain hole. Sometimes it may be a little tight, if so then you can use a pair of pliers to loosen. You will have to purge the system of most air pockets afterwards. IIRC, instructions should actually be in your owner's manual. If you want, I can post the instructions.

Over $300 is a little high for just fluids.

BTW: Not trying to be insulting. Your engine is a 2.4 and it is a VTEC or i-VTEC. Vtech is a phone.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the info and the corrections.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:49 PM

I would appreciate it if you would post the coolant drain and fill procedure.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'll give you an example of why the independent mechanic charging over $300 for fluids is high, at this Honda dealer they have a special of two fluids for $159.95. Sometimes, they even have a three fluid special for like $199. You can even find Honda dealers that do it for less and with genuine Honda fluids. For over $300, many Honda dealer will change the filter, fluids, etc. (power steering fluid isn't always changed by the dealer during most services).

Auto Repair Oil Change Coupons Hayward Alameda San Lorenzo Union City Oakland Bay Area CA

Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

I just checked, it wasn't in the 2004 Accord owner's manual.

Here are the service instructions:

Coolant Replacement
  1. Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, or climate control system to HI, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.
  2. Remove the radiator cap.
  3. Loosen the drain plug (A), and drain the coolant.
  4. After the coolant has drained, tighten the radiator drain plug.
  5. Remove, drain and reinstall the coolant reservoir.
  6. Fill the coolant reservoir to the MAX mark (A) with genuine Honda Long life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2.
  7. Pour genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the radiator up to the base of the filler neck.
  8. Loosely install the radiator cap.
  9. Start the engine, and let it run until it warms up (the radiator fan comes on at least twice).
  10. Turn off the engine. Check the level in the radiator and add coolant if needed.
  11. Put the radiator cap on tightly, then run the engine again and check for leaks.

Attached Thumbnails Fluid Changes-drain-petcock.jpg   Fluid Changes-coolant-reservoir.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 PM

Thanks again!

Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Very good info Red-bull1

Thank You!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 AM

The coolant replacement is in the 03 owner's manual. It also has spark plug replacement, and a lot of other things. Hard to believe it's not in the 04, but I guess Honda can change that whenever they want.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
The coolant replacement is in the 03 owner's manual. It also has spark plug replacement, and a lot of other things. Hard to believe it's not in the 04, but I guess Honda can change that whenever they want.
You're correct. I knew I seen it before in the owner's manual.

I just rechecked the electronic versions I know of and the 2003 owner's manual (sedan version) shows it; but, the 2004 owner's manual (coupe version) does not.

Attached Thumbnails Fluid Changes-2003-owners-manual-excerpt.jpg   Fluid Changes-2004-owners-manual-excerpt.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fluid Changes