General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Frame diagrams anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Vagabond23
Unregistered
Default Frame diagrams anyone?

Hi everyone,

New to forums so please bear with me. I have recently brought a 'cat d' 52 plate Accord SE Exec. Bodywork mint except for bonnet & slam panel. I have taken some measurements from a friends Accord to aid me with pulling the slam panel & wing stays out. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that may have access to, or would be able to tell me where I could get a front end frame diagram giving exact dimensions. I have looked through the internet & have also tried local bodyshops to see if they could help me out for the cost of a few pints, but all they can provide me with are drawings for the 03/08 Accord. I have seen workshop manuals for sale on Ebay. Has anybody used these? Are they any good? If anyone does know of a website/image gallery that contains this information & they could pass that on to me I would be extremely grateful. Sorry for the length of post & thanks for reading. Cheers, Vagabond

Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Cheers, mate!
There's a few folks on here from UK, so hopefully someone will chime in. I'm gonna move this to General Tech where more people will see it.

What's a cat-d 52-plate?

Beginning about 1998, the UK/Eur/JDM Accord is a different car from the USA car. A shop manual from Helm will have the dimensions you're looking for, but for a USA/Canada car.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Vagabond23
Unregistered

Hi Jim,

Really appreciate your reply & also for moving my post to where, hopefully, a few more people will see it. To answer your question, here in the UK when a car is 'written off' by the insurance company it will, depending on severity of damage, fall into 1 of 4 categories. These range from 'Cat-A', car must be crushed, to 'Cat-D', slight damage but car was not deemed to be economically repaired due to cost of labour, parts & hire car whilst repair was being carried out. Also, a '52 plate' just means that it was first registered in 2002.

Thanks again

Nath

Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

OK, that sounds like what's called a 'salvage title' over here. But more to the point, a USDM 2002 Accord is a whole different car than your UK 2002 Accord.

The repair manual published by Helm has all the dimensions you're looking for, but you have to find one for a UK Accord. It wasn't until 2003 (the next generation) that we got the JDM/UKDM Accord, under the name Acura TSX.

The eBay manuals can be anything, even an electronic parts catalog (which you can see on-line from any number of dealers that do mail-order parts business).

Just to help my confusion, a 2003 model-year would have been available in late 2002, so it could be registered during 2002. Does that give it a '52-plate'? If your car has a K-series engine, then it's really a 2003. In that case, you already said you can get drawings for that.

Got a picture of the car?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Is this it??

Old 07-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Vagabond23
Unregistered

Hi,

Yes, the photo that you posted is the model/year that I have. The dimensions that I have the greatest need for are;

1) from the ground to the top of the slam panel
2) from ends of slam panel (holes each end just before the headlight aperture) to each of the suspension turrets

Sorry I can't show a picture as camera has croaked it's last & am awaiting replacement

Just to let you know, I am planning to 'pull out' the damage with 5 tonne ratchet straps attached to the mid point & the ends of the slam panel. If I can't get the exact distance from the ground to the top of the slam panel I will make a frame 690mm high, using measurements taken from my friend’s car, for the straps to pull over.

As for plates, in the UK we change ours every 6 months (March to August & September to February). For 2009 March to August = an '09 plate' & September to February 2010 = a '59 plate'

Again, any help that can be given will be gratefully received

Cheers, Nath