General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Frame Straightening 96 Accord

Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
jamesontashley
Unregistered
Default Frame Straightening 96 Accord

I got in a little wreck last month and am trying to fix the car myself. I have located stock measurment diagrams and compared them to my actual car. The diagram shows a distance of 59.6 inches from left front tire to right front tire. It also shows a distance 59.1 inches from left rear to right rear. The difference between these measurements is .5 inch which is exactly what I got for mine, not same values, but same difference; I have aftermarket rims. Now my question is when comparing center of tire to center of tire on both sides I show a difference of .5 inch as well. The distance shown on the diagram is 106.9 from center to center. Theoretically the two sides should measure the same because the diagram only has one measurement. Does having a .5 inch difference in length enough to consider the frame bent? Should I take it to a shop to get straightened before welding in a new radiator support and changing the front end? Also, does anyone know how to measure (or have diagrams?) so when welding the radiator support everything lines up correctly -headlights bumper grill hood and fenders?

Old 11-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Frame Straightening 96 Accord

The Helm manual should have a number of measurements between hard points on the floor-pan itself. THOSE would determine a bent frame. Then theres measurements of the sub-frames, etc.

When themeasurement is to thetire centerline, the wheels are part of that. If the offset of your wheels is 1/4 inch(6mm) different than stock wheels, that would explain your measurements.

PS... Where did the 106.9 come from? I had trouble understanding exactly what you were saying. Are your front & rear track measurement bigger or smaller than the spec? Smaller offset wheels would place the tires farther outboard, giving a wider track.