General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front brakes locking up

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM
pair8hd
Unregistered
Default Front brakes locking up

Got a '99 Accord. Approximately 2 months ago the front brakes started dragging real bad. After inspecting the calipers, rotors and pads I determined they were all in good shape and checked the fluid. It did look kinda old and has some sludge in it. I drained the whole system and clean the reservoir, then bled the whole system. It worked just fine after that.
2 days ago it started doing the same thing but it seemed it was only the driver's side locking up more. So I went ahead and replaced the driver's side caliper and brake hose.
Last night the front locked up pretty bad.
I am at a lost.
Any ideas or experience with this?
TIA.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Front brakes locking up

This can also be caused by Master Cylinder (MC) gap adjustment w/ the power booster. Has MC been replaced recently?

Basically, if MC-booster gap is too small, the brake fluid expansion causes the brakes to gradually lockup as brakes and fluid heat up. Gap adjustment is described in all manuals (real PIA). It requires a special tool just to measure the gap! I bought an OEM Honda MC to avoid this issue and did not perform an adjustment. It might be done by trial and error. I believe there may be a DIY on this issue also.

good luck

Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 PM
pair8hd
Unregistered

The MC has not been touched. I don't think it's the problem because the issue is so intermittent.
Drove it to a friend who works at a brake shop and after spending all day looking at it he couldn't find anything wrong. Drove it home and the front started locking up again. Got out and only the driver's side (the side I replaced the caliper and hose) rotor was glowing red.
[:@]

Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 PM

A rusty caliper piston w/o a dust boot can also cause this problem. Piston moves forward when you press the brake but doesn't release due to corrosion on piston preventing relaxation. I have heard of hoses w/ a loose flap that formed a one-way check valve causing this problem.

good luck

Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Pair8hd, have you check the caliper bolt/pins? They may need cleaning and lube with new grease. I had this same issue on my previous car, after each caliper bolt/pin were cleaned and applied with grease the dragging stopped.

Good luck

Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Default 1999 Honda Accord V6 Coupe Brake system locked up

I have the same problem with my 1999 Honda Accord V6 Coupe. When it's cold, it's acting normal for the brake system. After driving it for 5-10 minutes, it started to lock up in the front, and I can smell brake is burning up. I have changed the caliber, brake pads, Master Cylinder, the booster, the brake hose, proportioning valve, and even the ABS module, but the problem wouldn't go away! I also bled the whole system, so it's all new in there. The only problem that I could think of is all the parts that I've used were not brand new but used, pulled from the junk yard, but they said all the parts were tested to be in working condition. Any suggestion? Is there a DIY guide to adjust the gap between the MC and the booster like TexasHonda mentioned before?

I'm stuck!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 PM

dude, just lube it up and it'll probably be good to go. you try checking the stuff on the drivers side from the mc? maybe its something corroded in the linkage attached to the pedal? beocon said that he replaced everthing mc and forward and its still happening. if your brakes are going from working normally to locking up all of a sudden, i would think it would be caused by input from the brake booster... i dunno though, call me crazy

Last edited by Sgt.Mason.Willis; 04-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Default Front brake locking up

I am having the same problem, front brake locking up intermitten and do not know what to do next. Replaced caliper, ABS module, bled the lines and still problem exist, please help beocon and pair8hd if you already solved your problem. 2000 Honda Accord EX V6

Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM

If just the front brake (one side?) is locking up, you can rule out master cylinder. All brakes would tighten if this were the case.

You have to look to the brake hardware. The calipers and caliper pins are prime suspects.

When lockup occurs it might be helpful to crack the bleeder on the brake caliper. If no fluid erupts, then you can rule out pressurization from some source and focus on mechanical brake issues.

good luck

Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Default all brakes were locked

All brakes were locked. The brake padel was harden as if there were pressure in the line. The caliper pins were not the issue. The brakes locked up after 10 minutes of driving. I hope this clarify the issue, please reply!
Thanks!
Teester

Quick Reply: Front brakes locking up