General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front sub frame bushing replacement passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 12:51 PM
Default Front sub frame bushing replacement passenger side

So I need to replace the bushing between the main frame and sub frame on the passenger side. Has anyone done this? Is it as easy as taking two bolts out and reinstall with new bushing? Any help is appreciated. 2004 Accord Coupe V-6 Manual.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Do you need to replace the bushing surrounding the large (17 or 19mm) bolt that holds the sub-frame to the vehicle, or the bushing around the sway bar that is held in by a bracket and 2 bolts?

Old 03-20-2022, 05:21 AM

The first one with the 19 mm bolt.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

I replaced them on my TSX when I replaced the sub-frame. I used a harbor freight 2-jaw puller from the top of the sub-frame (see youtube video on replacing sub-frame bushing on an 02 odyssey). I'm pretty sure you will need to pull the sub-frame to swap out this bushing. I don't think you can get enough clearance to get a puller in there. I'm not sure you would have enough room to feed a bolt through there to pull into a cup from the bottom (like doing a bearing replacement).

My TSX lived in the north and had some seized bolts due to rust, where I broke off one of the welded nuts when trying to unbolt the lower control arm. You may face the same problem. I ended up buying a used Texas sub-frame for $100 that I changed the bushings. I'll also recommend replacing the sway bar bushings, because they are much easier with the sub-frame off the car. Depending on the rust situation, you may want to remove the lower control arms still attached to sub-frame. The power steering rack was probably the hardest part to disconnect. I definitely recommend marking then disconnecting the steering wheel shaft from the rack from inside the car, or you will pull apart the adjustable length shaft (guess how I know!). I spent a lot of time getting the steering wheel to be at 3/9 o'clock when driving straight. Other than the obvious items attached to the sub-frame, there are clips that secure lines to the sub-frame that you need to detach for removal.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I replaced them on my TSX when I replaced the sub-frame. I used a harbor freight 2-jaw puller from the top of the sub-frame (see youtube video on replacing sub-frame bushing on an 02 odyssey). I'm pretty sure you will need to pull the sub-frame to swap out this bushing. I don't think you can get enough clearance to get a puller in there. I'm not sure you would have enough room to feed a bolt through there to pull into a cup from the bottom (like doing a bearing replacement).

My TSX lived in the north and had some seized bolts due to rust, where I broke off one of the welded nuts when trying to unbolt the lower control arm. You may face the same problem. I ended up buying a used Texas sub-frame for $100 that I changed the bushings. I'll also recommend replacing the sway bar bushings, because they are much easier with the sub-frame off the car. Depending on the rust situation, you may want to remove the lower control arms still attached to sub-frame. The power steering rack was probably the hardest part to disconnect. I definitely recommend marking then disconnecting the steering wheel shaft from the rack from inside the car, or you will pull apart the adjustable length shaft (guess how I know!). I spent a lot of time getting the steering wheel to be at 3/9 o'clock when driving straight. Other than the obvious items attached to the sub-frame, there are clips that secure lines to the sub-frame that you need to detach for removal.
Wow, that's not good news but thanks for the reply. No rust problem here in San Antonio and the car has always been here but sounds like the job is beyond my ability. Will be checking with some shops this week.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that lowering the subframe will get you enough room to remove that bushing using a 2-jaw puller. You might be able to use a DIY slide hammer to remove the bushing. Installing the new bushing is possible from below with the puller.

Definitely shop around for quotes. The job isn't terrible, but a lot of items need removed before removing the sub-frame.