General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front sub-frame concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Default front sub-frame concerns

Hello, I'm new to the forum so I would like to thank you in advance for any advice you provide. I've had several accords and currently have 2. My 2002 ex v6 4dr at has rusted out on the pass side front sub-frame (engine cradle?) car is in good shape although it has 185 k on it. I've had it since 04 and have had only minor issues. Please take a look and let me know what's up.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2manycars
Hello, I'm new to the forum so I would like to thank you in advance for any advice you provide. I've had several accords and currently have 2. My 2002 ex v6 4dr at has rusted out on the pass side front sub-frame (engine cradle?) car is in good shape although it has 185 k on it. I've had it since 04 and have had only minor issues. Please take a look and let me know what's up.
I don't know what happened to my pictures.I'll try again

Attached Thumbnails front sub-frame concerns-img_20121226_164715.jpg   front sub-frame concerns-img_20121226_164744.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

That looks pretty bad, but you can replace that front subframe. But before replacing it, have a shop take a real good look at everything else for structural corrosion damage. Decide whether it's worth fixing after you know the full extent of OTHER stuff that might be corroded just as badly.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 PM

everything else looks real good. just this one area bad. are others having this issue?

Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Can u weld? Maby u can plate it temporary till u can get the part and or time / money to fix that. It looks expensive. Just weld/ bolt acouple thick steel pieces to keep it structurely sound

Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Does this happen to be on the pass/right side of the car? For some reason I've see a few of the 6th gens with the pass/right side rusting out?

You could get a new one ($) or see if you can get a used one, of course inspect it real good. Then I'd be sure to add some sort of protection to the ends where the rust on yours is.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Does this happen to be on the pass/right side of the car? For some reason I've see a few of the 6th gens with the pass/right side rusting out?

You could get a new one ($) or see if you can get a used one, of course inspect it real good. Then I'd be sure to add some sort of protection to the ends where the rust on yours is.
yes it's the right/pass side. I too have seen some reports about this being a rather significant problem with gen 6 and national auto safety pushing honda to recall. Something to do with a/c drain location causing problem. appears to be major repair.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM

could someone please post a front sub-frame diagram and parts list/description for 2002 accord? thanks in advance

Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

hondaautomotiveparts.com sells all oem parts. I can't seem to find the subframe in any of the diagrams though. Maybe you will have better luck than I. Another option would be to check local junkyards

Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

The category is "REAR BEAM - CROSS BEAM" because it's combined in the same drawing with the rear subframe. It's pricey and seems like quite a job to replace.

I probably made it sound easy to replace because I didn't originally take a good look at the parts drawings. That beam might help support the engine and the steering rack, so you have to deal with that.

Quick Reply: front sub-frame concerns