General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Default Fuel Pump

My 89 Accord LXi Sedan 2.0 has a Carter fuel pump in the tank.
Anyone got an idea on how to see if the pump is working up to it's potential and if I need to replace it which name brand should I use.
Thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can install a fuel pressure gauge and run it out from under the hood to the windshield. Tape securely to windshield where you can see while driving.

Drive and check that fuel pressure is maintained w/i spec under normal and hard acceleration driving. If yes, the pump is doing fine.

If not, it's either the pump or the fuel pressure regulator. If fuel flow is inadequate or regulator is allowing too much bypass, fuel pressure will decline. If fuel pressure is good except under heavy acceleration, suspect the fuel pump. If pressure is too high, bouncing around or marginal all the time, suspect fuel pressure regulator.

good luck

Old 01-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Question

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You can install a fuel pressure gauge and run it out from under the hood to the windshield. Tape securely to windshield where you can see while driving.

Drive and check that fuel pressure is maintained w/i spec under normal and hard acceleration driving. If yes, the pump is doing fine.

If not, it's either the pump or the fuel pressure regulator. If fuel flow is inadequate or regulator is allowing too much bypass, fuel pressure will decline. If fuel pressure is good except under heavy acceleration, suspect the fuel pump. If pressure is too high, bouncing around or marginal all the time, suspect fuel pressure regulator.

good luck
Thanks for your help TexasHonda.
I pulled the gas tank and it looks like Georgia red clay inside. Rust everywhere. All the internal parts have been turned orange. The fuel pump looks to be a Spectra and it may not be all that old. I ran some water through the pump to test it. Do you think I damaged it?