General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel pump wont shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 AM
accordinglyslow
Unregistered
Default Fuel pump wont shut off.

Ive got a 97 accord ex 2.2. I just had to put a new engine in because of some stupid stuff I wont discuss. Anyway, when I switch the key to ON II, the fuel pump comes on but doesnt shut off. Sounds like I can hear air leaking near the egr valve, but cant find the leak. Replaced all the lines, fuel rail, pressure regulator, egr valve, all seals and gaskets and still cant figure it out. Does it sound like an electrical problem. When I crank it it idles fine, but when I drive, there is hardly any power, as soon as it hits 4000 rpms, it stutters and spits. Im lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fuel pump wont shut off.

Has your check engine light come on? I would short the service connector to check just in case there is a code stored that might help pinpoint the problem.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:49 PM

If there is a leak anywhere in your fuel line (cracked hose etc.) then it won't fully pressurize so the pump won't ever shut off. On rare occasion a sensor in the pump is messed up and it just doesn't know when to shut off but it sounds more like you've got a cracked fuel line somewhere, make sure you're not drawing in any air from your pickup line or anything.... So start by searching the hose, follow the line all the way back feel it for cracks or excessive dryness, make sure you don't have loose hose clamps or a line that feels wet, if all of that's fine then start the car and let is idle, feel along the line again for air leaking or fuel leaking

Old 05-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

If there is a leak anywhere in your fuel line (cracked hose etc.) then it won't fully pressurize so the pump won't ever shut off. On rare occasion a sensor in the pump is messed up and it just doesn't know when to shut off..
Tell me more! How is that measured? I haven't seen anysensor wired back to the ECUto actually measure fuel pressure.