General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel system problem...Still '91 Accord EX

Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Fuel system problem...Still '91 Accord EX

Helping a friend with her '91 Accord EX

Rebuilt the complete front end, replaced broken front springs, shocks, new front stabilizer bar rubbers/bolts, transmission fluid flush, power steering flush, replaced brake master cylinder.
She picked it up three days ago and was happy. No charge for labour.
She went to drive it two days ago and it wouldn't start. She said it had ALWAYS not startd after she drives it, shuts it off and tries to start it right away. She waits five or so minutes and then it would start. It has never "not started" before.

I went down, replaced the fire wall fuel filter, no change, wouldn't start.
Couldn't hear the fuel pump run when you first turn on the key. Relay clicks. Disconnected fuel line to fuel rail. Turned key, no fuel at all !

Towed it here, pulled fuel tank, replaced the fuel pump, (new), fuel strainer. Fuel tank is clean inside. It ran great ! Handled great !
Test drove and delivered it last night, drove 45 miles to take it to her. Ran great.

She called after her first drive this evening. She stopped for fuel. Shut it off to do so, IT WOULDN'T START !!! Did the five minute thing and it started.
The only thing I haven't replaced is the fuel presssure sensor ? Checked codes before I took it back. Only code flash is 17, (VSS, speed sensor) her speedo hasn't worked in ages she said. It was intermitant for me.

Where is the fuel pressure sensor on the '91 Accord? I have two Preludes, ('87 / '91 and one '92 NSX) I thought I knew Hondas!!! Owned and maintained them for twenty five years. Does the fuel pressure sensor make sense?? No code flash to that effect.

PLEASE HELP me help her.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited by nigel; 10-27-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Fuel relay

The relay had a rather loud click or different sound but it did click.

Cheers
nigel

Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

The common failure of the main relay is that it clicks, but the solder joints on the circuit board are cracking & not always making contact. So just because it clicks doesn't mean the main relay is good.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Fuel Problem

Also, the clicking is coming from the engine compartment and in my Preludes it comes from under the dash at the l/s kick panel.
Now i'm beginning to think "relay?". Where "exactly" is it ?????

I'm not finding a fuel pressure sensor, (I don't have service manuals and can't seem to get one to download, maybe someone could give me a link?) and i'm wondering if there is one?

I don't want to just throw parts at it but the only two left, (I think) are the pressure regulator and the relay, both around $60 eack and she isn't employed and the work so far has broken her supposidly to her car back on the road.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited by nigel; 10-28-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check DIY forum, Online Manuals post for a download manual. I believe there is a 91 Accord.

There is no fuel pressure sensor. Fuel pressure is regulated by a fuel pressure regulator on fuel rail and return line to fuel tank.

Main Fuel Relay (MFR) is difficult to see but not horrible to access. If car has a cruise control, remove this module (3 bolts) under drivers side dash left of steering. W/ this module removed, the MFR is vertically up against the top under side of the dashboard, and to the outside end of dash. It is held in place w/ a metal bracket bolted to the frame. I found it easier to remove the retaining bolt or nut and drop the bracket and MFR down to separate them (enough slack in wiring once it's released). Other way to access is to release the MFR from the housing (it snaps into housing and can be pried out. Trying to separate the MFR housing from bracket was frustrating to me (one hand is all you can get up there).

good luck

Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

And this : http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

has some real good information about the main relay, along with "where" it is....http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelaydefine.html

Last edited by poorman212; 10-28-2012 at 10:04 AM.