General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fuelsaving

Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Default fuelsaving

Hiall i worked at a uni in the mechanical engineering dep't and there was a guy there testing fuel addetives on a caterpiler eng', not sure size, but it was BIG. Anyway iasked him what the best add' he had tested and he said something with teflon in it. Maybe nulon. Teflons got the lowest co-efficiant of friction, that means it's as slippery as a butchers *****. Is pretty much inert that means it's inactive on seals and the like.$8aus a bottle

Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: fuelsaving

i dont understand how that would help fuel efficiency at all; i didn't know there was so much drag in the fuel lines... fuel is already an extremely low viscosity liquid with a low flash point, you shouldn't need to lubricate it. You said you work in the mechanical engineering dept., are you an engineer? It certainly doesn't sound like it...

Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

So it's a "BIG" Caterpillar engine - Was it a diesel? That makes a huge difference in what sort of additives or techniques are effective.

Fuel injection pumps for those operate at such high pressures, their problems are pretty much unrelated to anything you'll see in a normal S-I engine.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 PM

The benefits are at every wear point that the oil lubricates.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Additives are not recommended in any owners manual that I have examined. If addditives are as slippery as you think would this not cause engine sludge buildup because it will not drain with the oil change??

Just kiddding.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:47 AM

Hey finch, sorry about the mix up. The teflon stuff goes in the oil not fuel.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Okay. The teflon makes way more sense now. Sorry to flame you.

Search this Thread