General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Funky auto-trans sounds, lately...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Exclamation Funky auto-trans sounds, lately...

Hey everyone! Just joined the site, so a 1st-time poster.

I have a 2008 Accord LX, 2.4L with the auto tranny. Over the last few weeks or so, the transmission seems to be relatively loud - making a kind of "spooling up" sound.

I checked the fluid level, which was barely on the dipstick... I got some replacement fluid (and a LONG funnel - damn Honda!) and have ATTEMPTED to fill it up at least twice.

By now I've put probably 40-50% of the quart into the dipstick hole, but still can't get the level to register in the "hot" zone. Yesterday while driving it, the "spooling" sound is back / noticeable again.

I did some research, and apparently there is a recall notice out there on the A/T Control Module SW. I also noticed that people seem to get A/T fluid flushes around the late 30K mileage. I've got around 48K, with NO A/T maintenance done to date.

I'll likely drive to my local dealer TODAY (early afternoon; EST) and have them check it out. Thought I'd post to a Forum Board, and see if I can get any tips / pointers.

Thoughts on what the issue / problem might be? And/or, how much will a dealer charge for an A/T flush (and filter replacement)? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Check the owners manual about how to check ATF level. Not sure about newer ones, but Honda "traditionally" has you check the ATF dipstick with the engine all warmed up but turned off. That's opposite almost every other car which is checked with the engine idling in Park.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Hi Jim. Thanks for the info., but yes - I followed the manual instructions, and heated the car up, and examined the level after turning it off.

I did finally get around to checking the A/T fluid capacity in the owner's manual. It is 3.5 quarts for a change, and a total of 7.9 quarts!

I've been LIGHTLY pouring the A/T fluid in, as I did not want to over-fill it, and then cause another problem. With how much capacity there is, and how low the level is reading at on the dipstick - I'm going to put the remaining 50 - 60% of the quart in, and likely get at least another 1-2 quarts.

I'll see how that works, before taking it to a shop. At 3.5 quarts to 7.9 quarts, having a change or flush will cost some $$$!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Eh - I will need to take it in to a dealer in the near future anyway, for the Control Module Software recall.

I made an appointment for late this afternoon and will have the recall addressed, as well as having the fluid drained ($90). Turns out I also have an oil consumption / VTC timing recall I need to have done, too!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty sure the difference between the top & bottom marks on the dipstick is 1 quart, just to kinda gauge where you are.