General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

General car alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 AM
Default General car alarm question

I am looking for info on alarms - specifically for cars that may be made BEFORE the electronic chips were embedded into the ignition key (I may be looking at older Civics if I can't find an older non-modded/abused Accord)
Question - I am looking to retrofit an alarm system into a yet-to-be purchased older car.
Yes - I know about kill switches/ fuel pump cut-outs/under-hood battery cut offs and the like, in addition to an alarm on the car;
Does anyone know if there is an alarm mfg. that has you embed a small electronic module somewhere in the car (steering column or under dash) that acts as a sort of transponder to activate the ignition assuming that there is a similar device on your keyring, or some similar such setup?
I am all ears to ANY AND ALL suggestions as to how to keep the scumbags of the world from stealing my car...
Thanks!
Happy New Year all!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:20 AM

I believe you can get an immobilizer anti theft unit both with key and with chip that has to be on person/in the vehicle in order for it to start. That being said if you go with a chip key option you will have two keys to think about, one to manually unlock the door and one for the ignition. Just something to keep in mind during your research for the best fit anti theft device for your future car.