General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get rid of smell...my throat is killing me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Tom K.
Unregistered

Originally Posted by tobybul
I'm assuming youve had the car since new or at least for a while so we can rule out a "flooded" car.

Could you have left the windows down at some point and got rained on and got the carpets wet? Have you peeked under the carpets in case its wet/moist in there??
Interior is super clean. No wet or moisture on floor.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

My bet is the drain line for the condenser drain pan. It loves to get clogged and cause the car to stink. I would clean that out, flush the vents and intake air duct with Lysol and then drive with the A/C on all the time for a week or two to really drive out the moisture and prevent it from happening again.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Tom K.
Unregistered

Originally Posted by finch13
My bet is the drain line for the condenser drain pan. It loves to get clogged and cause the car to stink. I would clean that out, flush the vents and intake air duct with Lysol and then drive with the A/C on all the time for a week or two to really drive out the moisture and prevent it from happening again.
I live in Connecticut and haven't had the AC on in months because it's freezing. I even get the smell in the winter with the heater on.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Regardless whether you switch the AC on or not, the air still passes thru the evaporator & it's housing.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Tom K.
Unregistered

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Regardless whether you switch the AC on or not, the air still passes thru the evaporator & it's housing.
How difficult is it to get to the evaporator?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's a big black box in the dash in front of the passenger. If you were to stick your head in the footwell and look up you would probably see it. I'm going to remove it and then I could help more, but I was going to wait until it's warmer out.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I removed evaporator on my 94Ex recently to fix blocked drainage from evaporator. I tried sucking drain line w/ vacuum cleaner and it cleared temporarily but blocked again.

Removing evaporator is easy in the 4-cyl Accords and may be same for V6, but I don't know. Try looking at autozone.com online manuals for guidance on evaporator replacement. It does require discharging the AC system to release the evaporator AC connections.

good luck

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM

My Haynes Repair Manual says there are A/C disinfectant kits in auto parts stores to do this. (Chapter 3, page 13, section 13, paragraph 20-24.) I'll FAX you a copy of the page if contact me off-line.

John (Gr8bald1)
05 Accord 2.4 /5 speed man.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Witko
Unregistered

Meanwhile, if you are sensitive to air fresheners and aerosols... I would have one suggestion for you to try as alternative.

I happen to be the same way and any typical air freshener spray makes me either sick or gives me a headache at the least... (didn't like the fact that they dealership I just bough my Accord from sprayed "new car" smell before turning it over to me... made me sick.)

Try Pure Citrus.

It is exactly what the name states... caned citrus spray. Non-Aerosol.

It can be found in most grocery stores and online...

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp148261_3...trus_blend.htm

They make a very small canister that fits well in the car and lasts a very long time. Bout the size of a small mace can.

I use it in my house, in my car... anywhere that needs a bit of freshening. It is very strong so you really only need to use a light spray to get the effect. Tap it... and you're car will smell like someone just cut open 8 oranges. If you don't like the smell of fresh cut oranges or citrus fruit in general, then I'd not try it.

It is non toxic and I use it throughout my daughters bedroom... dirty diapers... etc. ... so it is quite potent and effective.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Tom K.
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Gr8bald1
My Haynes Repair Manual says there are A/C disinfectant kits in auto parts stores to do this. (Chapter 3, page 13, section 13, paragraph 20-24.) I'll FAX you a copy of the page if contact me off-line.

John (Gr8bald1)
05 Accord 2.4 /5 speed man.
Sounds great....but.....I don't have a fax machine.