Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Finally mad enough to get rid of my 6th gen car

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Finally mad enough to get rid of my 6th gen car

Well I have had this car for 8 months and this is BY FAR the worst car I have ever owned.

Transmission
Alternator
Suspension

various squaks and rattles....

I never thought Honda could make a crap car like this.....This car makes GM look good..........

my 1994 Honda that was rebuilt from SALVAGE has been far more reliable...todate i have spent less than $100 for repairs (had the car since 2001)and put over 60K miles on it. IT is now at 145K and change.........

IF I buy a 7th gen accord do I have more of the same to look forward to?

Old 09-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Default RE: Finally mad enough to get rid of my 6th gen car

Knock on wood, mine has been relatively trouble free. The rotors warped- warranty, one recall on air bag- warranty, that's it! No squeaks or rattles, no problems at all in two years. I lucked out with it being a J-Spec, didn't even realize it when I bought it.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai
........... my 1994 Honda that was rebuilt from SALVAGE has been far more reliable...todate i have spent less than $100 for repairs (had the car since 2001)and put over 60K miles on it. IT is now at 145K and change.........

IF I buy a 7th gen accord do I have more of the same to look forward to?
You have experienced the sad reality of today's manufacturing world - products don't necessarily get better as time goes on.

For example, for some strange reason Ford cannot now design a cruise control system that doesn't catch fire, and it's not just cars. What is the life-expectancy of a new refrigerator or water heater compared to that of those manufactured prior to 1980? (Our 1978 refrigerator will STILL outlast any consumer-level refrigerator we could buy today for four times the money! We bought a Maytag Neptune washer about 8 years ago - it's a money pit!)

A company's reputation of reliability and low-maintenance cost, which took many years to establish, is nowadays "cashed in" by the latest owners of the company who decide that short-term profit is more important than either their precious reputation or their sales in the future.

In a way, unfortunately, it is the responsibility of us consumers to reject products of inferior quality - even if they are being produced by a company with a great reputation. If we all continue to buy crap - companies will be very happy to produce it for us. With all of the focus now on "style" and "features", the one and only thing we CAN be certain of is that it will be very good looking crap.

I think what would be helpful to the consumer in this regard would be a TV show that is the equivalent of "Consumer Reports" magazine. Reliability and cost of ownership of recent EARLIER products would be the show's focus - of course with the understanding that if a company's recent products were high quality, it's latest versions of the same models would likely be the same. People could then choose to buy, or not buy, quality vehicles. The big question is - WHO would sponsor such a TV show? Certainly not the companies manufacturing crap and, unfortunately, crap seems to be the rule nowadays, rather than the exception.

So with all of this in mind, if you want to get a "new" car, you should seek out and buy a third or fourth gen "cream puff" - you know, the one with the immaculate body and only 20,000 original miles. Put a few dollars into it (you know where) and you'll then have a "new" car that'll probably outlast an 07.

It'll cost a helluva lot less to buy and it'll almost certainly cost a helluva lot less to maintain.

If you want, you can even put one of those new-fangled GPS units in it! (How did we ever make it from point A to point B in the past? Must have been pure luck!)

Old 09-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Well the POS is gone. I got more than I owed on it. I replaced it with a 2002 Acura CL-S that has 40,7XX miles on it for $15K.

Much better overall and transmission is covered under 100K warranty so I am good there.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:16 AM

uuuuuu excelent choice , congrats...
my mom has a 03 TL ( which I guess is same as yours except its a 4 dr) and she seems to be very happy with it.
enjoy your new acura , best of luck

Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 PM

Yeah, I was looking at those before I got the LX, but they were too much.

Love 'em though.

StevePhy

Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 PM

Good looking ride there bro.