General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Getting new clutch tommorow.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Default Getting new clutch tommorow.....

So it has finally happened...I need a new clutch
It started showing signs of slippage under load about a couple months ago. Now I'm slow as hell taking off from a dead stop, especially on a slight incline. So I decided to get it done before I get stranded somewhere. I'm taking it in tommorow morning and my mechanic says it'll be done by the end of the day. I was quoted $650 for everything (including new flywheel) it seemed about right. Didn't want to go aftermarket since Its just my daily driver.
Did anyone here have any issues after putting ina new clutch?I heard from a couple of people that their car didn't "feel" the same after putting a new clutch in. Like it didn't feel like the original clutch, even when new. Any comments would be great. Just can't wait to get it over with and be able to drive fine tommorow.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Getting new clutch tommorow.....

i put a exedy stage 1 cluch in mine and it felt the same

Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Stage 1 will improve the grip over stock, but feel about the same.
Stage 2 will feel a bit harder and have a good deal more grip.
Stage 3 is getting into high HP street / track applications, leaning more toward track. Most people never need Stage 3 or higher.

I will most likely switch to Stage 2 when I get an LSD in my car. I'm turbocharging to go from 160HP at the crank to 300-350 HP there .... my goal is 240-270 at the wheels ...... so in doubling stock power, I am doing Stage 2 ..... and I probably only need Stage 1.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:31 AM

I guess I might have a stage 3 (or so i've been told) it's a Fidanza 3.2 Kevlar and drives much like the OEM clutch, but hella more bite. The pedal itself will probably feel weird until its broken in and then it should go back to normal. $650 is a pretty good deal consider I did mine and know how much labor goes into it.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Yeah I thought $650 was pretty reasonable for everything. He's also replacing both my tie rods while its up there and hes not even charging me for labor on those. He called me now and said my old clutch was burnt to hell. Good thing I didn't wait any longer.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM

I still have my old clutch. It was literally disintegrating in the tranny and worn down to the rivets. I should post up pics

Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 PM

get those pics up asap...i have to see that lol

Old 09-18-2008, 11:27 PM

so I pick up the car after the clutch install. Its definetly gonna take a couple of days getting used to driving it with a new clutch. when i first drove it away....it was very jerky because with my worn out clutch I was used to giving it gas with the clutch pedal over half way up. now...the clutch "catches" right away...def something i have to get used to. Plus the clutch pedal doesnt feel spongy anymore. it goes down sooooooo smooth and comes right back up. it actually feels like my friends 2007 accord.

so my questions are does the clutch get less jerky overtime? and how longshould i take it easy on the clutch? Like is there a "break in" period like an engine? thanks again

Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

they say try to take it easy on the clutch for the first 300 city miles or 500 highway. meaning no launching, try not to burn it etc.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 PM

Thats about a week worth of miles for me. Not bad.

Quick Reply: Getting new clutch tommorow.....